Maps by Pauline Baynes

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
      Actually, Baynes did 2 maps of Middle-earth. One was tied into the
      release of the "Deluxe Paperback" edition of "LotR", and must have come
      out in the early 70s. This is the map that Margaret has (I have a
      copy, too). It's quite nice, in my opinion. There were little inset
      scenes of various places in Middle-earth, three of which provided the
      cover illustrations for the deluxe paperback edition: Hobbiton for the
      first volume, Minas Tirith for the second (or was it the third?). This
      map was available for a while, I think, displacing the earlier map
      which had decorations around the edges that appeared to be from the
      same illustrator who'd done the giant mural that was cut up for the
      original Ballantine paperback covers in the mid-60s. The Baynes map
      was better in every respect I think, except that the original map was
      kind of plasticized or at least had a coating on the upper surface that
      was slick and more easily cleaned.

      Baynes also did a later map for _The Hobbit_, which also had inset
      scenes. It was smaller than the original Middle-earth map, and I'm not
      sure if it tied into a book publication, but it was essentially the
      same map that Tolkien had drawn for _The Hobbit_, I think, with the
      "Edge of the Wild" line, etc. I have a copy of that somewhere, too. But
      I'd never part with either, I'm afraid. I haven't yet purchased the
      Brian Sibley/ set of maps that's currently in bookstores for about $30,
      but they look nice on the outside of the box, you might want to
      consider looking at those. Actually, think that's much cheaper than
      the the plain map went for in the 70s, if you adjust for inflation and
      the fact that this comes with a book.

      I think that the former of her maps appeared in the middle of one or
      more of the '70s era Ballantine Tolkien Calendars.

      Her Narnia map is much more widely available, not least because it's
      the cover of the hard-cover one-volume edition of the Chronicles,
      though obviously in much smaller size than in its original wall-poster
      version. It, too, has inset scenes from the books.

      On Oct 11, 2004, at 3:47 PM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 4
      > Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:43:10 -0400
      > From: Margaret Dean <margdean@...>
      > Subject: Re: Pauline Baynes map question
      >
      > Though I can't help you in locating one now, I can answer this
      > question with a definite YES, because I have one (I =think= it's
      > still around -- it's framed, and was up in the children's room at
      > one time). Band across the top depicting the Fellowship from the
      > back, band across the bottom depicting various Bad Guys
      > (including a Gollum who looks like the Creature from the Black
      > Lagoon after swimming in Clorox for a week), map in the middle
      > with inset illustrations of places.
      >
      > Anyway, good luck in finding one! I'm sure it can't be
      > impossible.
      >

      > --Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@...>

      David Lenander
      d-lena@... or david_lenander@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113
      651-292-8887 or 651-697-1807
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
        David Lenander wrote:

        >Actually, Baynes did 2 maps of Middle-earth. One was tied into the
        >release of the "Deluxe Paperback" edition of "LotR", and must have come
        >out in the early 70s. This is the map that Margaret has (I have a
        >copy, too). It's quite nice, in my opinion. There were little inset
        >scenes of various places in Middle-earth, three of which provided the
        >cover illustrations for the deluxe paperback edition: Hobbiton for the
        >first volume, Minas Tirith for the second (or was it the third?).

        Pauline's Map of Middle-earth was first issued in 1970, by George Allen &
        Unwin, an entirely separate project from the Ballantine trade paperback LR.
        The latter, however, which was published in September of the same year,
        used the map on the slipcase, and the roundels of Hobbiton, Minas Tirith,
        and the Towers of the Teeth from the map on the covers of vols. 1, 2, and 3
        respectively.

        >This
        >map was available for a while, I think, displacing the earlier map
        >which had decorations around the edges that appeared to be from the
        >same illustrator who'd done the giant mural that was cut up for the
        >original Ballantine paperback covers in the mid-60s.

        Barbara Remington.

        >The Baynes map
        >was better in every respect I think, except that the original map was
        >kind of plasticized or at least had a coating on the upper surface that
        >was slick and more easily cleaned.

        An Allen & Unwin memo I read called for 7,550 copies on Cartridge paper, to
        be followed by an unspecified quantity on glossy stock. But the copy of the
        first printing that hangs on the wall behind me isn't glossy, nor is the
        copy of a later printing (with somewhat different qualities of green)
        downstairs in one of our Baynes collection large print boxes, and I've
        never seen one that didn't have what I would call a matte or dull finish.

        >Baynes also did a later map for _The Hobbit_, which also had inset
        >scenes. It was smaller than the original Middle-earth map, and I'm not
        >sure if it tied into a book publication, but it was essentially the
        >same map that Tolkien had drawn for _The Hobbit_, I think, with the
        >"Edge of the Wild" line, etc.

        This was There and Back Again: A Map of Bilbo's Journey through Eriador and
        Rhovanion, issued in 1971, not tied into any book production. Pauline had
        done the first map, and kept the momentum going. Christina and I have both
        the poster and the tea towel (yes, tea towel) issues.

        >I think that the former of her maps appeared in the middle of one or
        >more of the '70s era Ballantine Tolkien Calendars.

        Yes, for both Ballantine and Allen & Unwin. Both also were issued as jigsaw
        puzzles.

        A copy of the Middle-earth map is currently offered by a British dealer on
        eBay, in an auction to end tomorrow (12 October). The bidding is low at the
        moment.

        Wayne Hammond

      • Deidre
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
          To everyone that replied, thanks so much for the info!

          I do have that Maps slipcase book, got as a birthday present, and opened it
          once to gloat over them. However, until I have money and time and more wall
          space to hang them properly, they will stay in the slipcase for now. The
          John Howe maps are the best of that lot.

          Wayne, I did find the Pauline Baynes ME map on ebay. Thanks for pointing
          that out to me. Waiting on seller to answer question about insurance. Have
          found that getting insurance is best for shipping on ebay-purchased items.

          Interesting to know that there were two editions of this map.

          tolkiencollector.com did mention the map being in the 73 or 74 Ballantine
          calendars, and I did find a picture of that online, as well as a picture of
          the Hobbit map. I hope to add both to my collection at some point. I do
          like the quasi-medieval style of Baynes' work.

          Thanks again--this is a good list to answer questions so quickly!

          Deidre
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
            Now, I think we had the map poster on the wall (with Riders and Walkers)
            when I was growing up (and I had the big ugly Silmarillion one over my
            bedroom stairs) but the TEA TOWEL .. that would be a real prize !!

            I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien Reader?
            Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2004
              At 12:23 PM 10/12/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

              >I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien Reader?
              >Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

              She did. _Farmer Giles_ was her first Inklings commission, and it was a
              bit hit. "I am pleased with them beyond even the expectations aroused by
              the first examples," wrote Tolkien. "They are more than illustrations,
              they are a collateral theme."

              David Bratman
            • Beth Russell
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
                She also did the Narnia books. But the one I like best is "Bibo's Last
                Song". She placed a series of drawings under the main illustration,
                like the Bayeux Tapestry. Below each scene in "Last Song" she put
                little scenes from "The Hobbit" that were related to it. She 'says' as
                much in those drawings as could be said in a long literary essay.

                Beth

                Now, I think we had the map poster on the wall (with Riders and Walkers)
                when I was growing up (and I had the big ugly Silmarillion one over my
                bedroom stairs) but the TEA TOWEL .. that would be a real prize !!

                I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien
                Reader?
                Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano