Re: [mythsoc] Pauline Baynes map question

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      Deidre wrote:

      > For some time now, I've been remembering that Pauline Baynes did a map of
      > Middle Earth.
      >
      > According to this site,
      >
      > <http://www.tolkiencollector.com/calendar.htm>
      >
      > she did draw/paint one for the 74 Allen and Unwin calendar, which I am sure
      > that I never had, being a poor American student at the time. Perhaps it was
      > in the 73 or 74 Ballantine calendars? I did once have these, but lost them
      > in a house fire some years ago, alas.
      >
      > What I am also wondering is this: was there a separate poster of this map?

      Though I can't help you in locating one now, I can answer this
      question with a definite YES, because I have one (I =think= it's
      still around -- it's framed, and was up in the children's room at
      one time). Band across the top depicting the Fellowship from the
      back, band across the bottom depicting various Bad Guys
      (including a Gollum who looks like the Creature from the Black
      Lagoon after swimming in Clorox for a week), map in the middle
      with inset illustrations of places.

      Anyway, good luck in finding one! I'm sure it can't be
      impossible.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>