RE: [mythsoc] Pauline Baynes map question

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      I don't know about a poster, but the Pauline Baynes map was available as
      a jigsaw puzzle. I recently mounted mine in a poster frame and it looks
      very nice. You might try searching eBay for the puzzle -- I think there
      was one at the Society auction last year, though I may be thinking of a
      different puzzle.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
        Deidre wrote:

        > For some time now, I've been remembering that Pauline Baynes did a map of
        > Middle Earth.
        >
        > According to this site,
        >
        > <http://www.tolkiencollector.com/calendar.htm>
        >
        > she did draw/paint one for the 74 Allen and Unwin calendar, which I am sure
        > that I never had, being a poor American student at the time. Perhaps it was
        > in the 73 or 74 Ballantine calendars? I did once have these, but lost them
        > in a house fire some years ago, alas.
        >
        > What I am also wondering is this: was there a separate poster of this map?

        Though I can't help you in locating one now, I can answer this
        question with a definite YES, because I have one (I =think= it's
        still around -- it's framed, and was up in the children's room at
        one time). Band across the top depicting the Fellowship from the
        back, band across the bottom depicting various Bad Guys
        (including a Gollum who looks like the Creature from the Black
        Lagoon after swimming in Clorox for a week), map in the middle
        with inset illustrations of places.

        Anyway, good luck in finding one! I'm sure it can't be
        impossible.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>