Pauline Baynes map question

  • Deidre
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      For some time now, I've been remembering that Pauline Baynes did a map of
      Middle Earth.

      According to this site,

      <http://www.tolkiencollector.com/calendar.htm>

      she did draw/paint one for the 74 Allen and Unwin calendar, which I am sure
      that I never had, being a poor American student at the time. Perhaps it was
      in the 73 or 74 Ballantine calendars? I did once have these, but lost them
      in a house fire some years ago, alas.

      What I am also wondering is this: was there a separate poster of this map?

      I know that there was a poster of the Narnia map; in fact, the publisher
      was giving away reproductions of said map a few years ago during that
      Narnia anniversary (forget the year), but I had a copy years and years ago.

      I would like to have a copy of the Baynes' Middle Earth map, or baring
      that, a poster of the C. Tolkien map from Fellowship, but everywhere I
      search on line, I just find the movie licensed products, which I really
      don't want. They are very dull to my eyes. (This of course from the girl
      who in college had the huge poster of the mid-60s Ballantine tripped-out
      covers on her dorm wall. *smiles*) And I don't want to remove any maps from
      my hardcovers. Nor from that Maps of Middle Earth book, since it was a
      birthday present. Even a link to any of these to view online would make me
      happy.

      Any help out there? Searching on Google brings up mostly the Narnia book
      illustrations.

      TIA,
      Deidre

      PS I'm also reminded of another poster from the 70s that I had, almost in a
      colouring book style, of Strider listening behind the wall around Bree as
      the hobbits enter the Prancing Pony. The colours were dark and jewel-like.
      I don't think I ever knew who the artist was. A link to any of these maps
      or posters would be most appreciated!
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
        I don't know about a poster, but the Pauline Baynes map was available as
        a jigsaw puzzle. I recently mounted mine in a poster frame and it looks
        very nice. You might try searching eBay for the puzzle -- I think there
        was one at the Society auction last year, though I may be thinking of a
        different puzzle.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
          Deidre wrote:

          > For some time now, I've been remembering that Pauline Baynes did a map of
          > Middle Earth.
          >
          > According to this site,
          >
          > <http://www.tolkiencollector.com/calendar.htm>
          >
          > she did draw/paint one for the 74 Allen and Unwin calendar, which I am sure
          > that I never had, being a poor American student at the time. Perhaps it was
          > in the 73 or 74 Ballantine calendars? I did once have these, but lost them
          > in a house fire some years ago, alas.
          >
          > What I am also wondering is this: was there a separate poster of this map?

          Though I can't help you in locating one now, I can answer this
          question with a definite YES, because I have one (I =think= it's
          still around -- it's framed, and was up in the children's room at
          one time). Band across the top depicting the Fellowship from the
          back, band across the bottom depicting various Bad Guys
          (including a Gollum who looks like the Creature from the Black
          Lagoon after swimming in Clorox for a week), map in the middle
          with inset illustrations of places.

          Anyway, good luck in finding one! I'm sure it can't be
          impossible.

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>