Re: [mythsoc] Omelas query

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9 9:21 PM
      I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
      refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
      people's moral choices for them.
      But isn't this the great ethical dilemma of our time? Do we make other
      people's moral decisions for them and end up not only with thought police but with
      Talibans, torture, inquisitions and executions? Or do we turn our backs on
      oppression, slavery and genocide, saying 'Well, we can't make their moral
      choices for them?' Where do we find balance? Where do we find the creative
      tension that sings between the two? These are not questions that should--or
      can--be answered glibly, and if I seemed to be doing so, I certainly apologize.

      Anne

    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9 9:24 PM
        In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
        reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
        Anne

      • Beth Russell
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13 1:26 PM
          Thanks to you all for the Omelas name and information. Now to locate
          the book in my house! What other books is it stuck under, behind or
          between?

          Cheers,

          Beth

          In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
          reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
          Anne

          Yahoo! Groups Links