Re: [mythsoc] Omelas query

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
      At 08:44 PM 10/9/2004 -0400, Anne wrote:

      >"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
      >Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
      >entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue
      >than walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a
      tear or
      >two at the end.

      I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
      refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
      people's moral choices for them.

      David Bratman
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
        I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
        refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
        people's moral choices for them.
        But isn't this the great ethical dilemma of our time? Do we make other
        people's moral decisions for them and end up not only with thought police but with
        Talibans, torture, inquisitions and executions? Or do we turn our backs on
        oppression, slavery and genocide, saying 'Well, we can't make their moral
        choices for them?' Where do we find balance? Where do we find the creative
        tension that sings between the two? These are not questions that should--or
        can--be answered glibly, and if I seemed to be doing so, I certainly apologize.

        Anne

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
          In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
          reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
          Anne

        • Beth Russell
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
            Thanks to you all for the Omelas name and information. Now to locate
            the book in my house! What other books is it stuck under, behind or
            between?

            Cheers,

            Beth

            In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
            reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
            Anne

            Yahoo! Groups Links