RE: [mythsoc] Omelas query

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
      Thanks Wendell!

      Beth

      -----Original Message-----
      From: WendellWag@... [mailto:WendellWag@...]
      Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 9:50 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] C.S. Lewis quote query:

      Excuse me, the exact title is "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas".

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
        "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
        Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
        entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue than
        walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a tear or
        two at the end.
        Anne

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
          At 08:44 PM 10/9/2004 -0400, Anne wrote:

          >"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
          >Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
          >entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue
          >than walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a
          tear or
          >two at the end.

          I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
          refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
          people's moral choices for them.

          David Bratman
        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
            I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
            refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
            people's moral choices for them.
            But isn't this the great ethical dilemma of our time? Do we make other
            people's moral decisions for them and end up not only with thought police but with
            Talibans, torture, inquisitions and executions? Or do we turn our backs on
            oppression, slavery and genocide, saying 'Well, we can't make their moral
            choices for them?' Where do we find balance? Where do we find the creative
            tension that sings between the two? These are not questions that should--or
            can--be answered glibly, and if I seemed to be doing so, I certainly apologize.

            Anne

          • jamcconney@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
              In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
              reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
              Anne

            • Beth Russell
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
                Thanks to you all for the Omelas name and information. Now to locate
                the book in my house! What other books is it stuck under, behind or
                between?

                Cheers,

                Beth