Re: [mythsoc] C.S. Lewis quote query:

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
      Excuse me, the exact title is "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas".

    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
        Thanks Wendell!

        Beth

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
          "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
          Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
          entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue than
          walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a tear or
          two at the end.
          Anne

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
            At 08:44 PM 10/9/2004 -0400, Anne wrote:

            >"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
            >Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
            >entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue
            >than walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a
            tear or
            >two at the end.

            I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
            refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
            people's moral choices for them.

            David Bratman
          • jamcconney@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
              I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
              refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
              people's moral choices for them.
              But isn't this the great ethical dilemma of our time? Do we make other
              people's moral decisions for them and end up not only with thought police but with
              Talibans, torture, inquisitions and executions? Or do we turn our backs on
              oppression, slavery and genocide, saying 'Well, we can't make their moral
              choices for them?' Where do we find balance? Where do we find the creative
              tension that sings between the two? These are not questions that should--or
              can--be answered glibly, and if I seemed to be doing so, I certainly apologize.

              Anne

            • jamcconney@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
                reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
                Anne

              • Beth Russell
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
                  Thanks to you all for the Omelas name and information. Now to locate
                  the book in my house! What other books is it stuck under, behind or
                  between?

                  Cheers,

                  Beth

                  In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
                  reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
                  Anne

                  Yahoo! Groups Links