RE: [mythsoc] C.S. Lewis quote query:

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
      I need some help also. Having a senior day-or-two and can't remember
      title or author of a story about a town with every amenity, but it was
      maintained by the misery of an imprisoned child. And there were some
      people who left that town ...

      Beth Russell

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
        In a message dated 10/9/2004 11:43:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        russells@... writes:

        > I need some help also. Having a senior day-or-two and can't remember
        > title or author of a story about a town with every amenity, but it was
        > maintained by the misery of an imprisoned child. And there were some
        > people who left that town ...

        "The Ones That Walk Away from Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
          Excuse me, the exact title is "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas".

        • Beth Russell
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
            Thanks Wendell!

            Beth

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
              "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
              Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
              entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue than
              walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a tear or
              two at the end.
              Anne

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                At 08:44 PM 10/9/2004 -0400, Anne wrote:

                >"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
                >Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
                >entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue
                >than walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a
                tear or
                >two at the end.

                I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
                refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
                people's moral choices for them.

                David Bratman
              • jamcconney@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                  I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
                  refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
                  people's moral choices for them.
                  But isn't this the great ethical dilemma of our time? Do we make other
                  people's moral decisions for them and end up not only with thought police but with
                  Talibans, torture, inquisitions and executions? Or do we turn our backs on
                  oppression, slavery and genocide, saying 'Well, we can't make their moral
                  choices for them?' Where do we find balance? Where do we find the creative
                  tension that sings between the two? These are not questions that should--or
                  can--be answered glibly, and if I seemed to be doing so, I certainly apologize.

                  Anne

                • jamcconney@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                    In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
                    reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
                    Anne

                  • Beth Russell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
                      Thanks to you all for the Omelas name and information. Now to locate
                      the book in my house! What other books is it stuck under, behind or
                      between?

                      Cheers,

                      Beth