C.S. Lewis quote query:

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
      I am trying to find the exact words/where/when/cite of a remark C.S.
      Lewis made, something on the order of
      'One of the blessings of my life as a teacher is that it gave me so many
      friends who are younger.'

      Can any of you help, please?

      Thanks,
      Mike Foster
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
        I need some help also. Having a senior day-or-two and can't remember
        title or author of a story about a town with every amenity, but it was
        maintained by the misery of an imprisoned child. And there were some
        people who left that town ...

        Beth Russell

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
          In a message dated 10/9/2004 11:43:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          russells@... writes:

          > I need some help also. Having a senior day-or-two and can't remember
          > title or author of a story about a town with every amenity, but it was
          > maintained by the misery of an imprisoned child. And there were some
          > people who left that town ...

          "The Ones That Walk Away from Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
            Excuse me, the exact title is "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas".

          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
              Thanks Wendell!

              Beth

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
                Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
                entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue than
                walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a tear or
                two at the end.
                Anne

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                  At 08:44 PM 10/9/2004 -0400, Anne wrote:

                  >"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" is in LeGuin's collection >The Wind's
                  >Twelve Quarters<. I don't know if it's still in print or not. I'm not sure I
                  >entirely agree with LeGuin--being more a believer in confronting an issue
                  >than walking away from it--but I still can't read that story without a
                  tear or
                  >two at the end.

                  I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
                  refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
                  people's moral choices for them.

                  David Bratman
                • jamcconney@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                    I don't think the ones who walk away are evading an issue. They're
                    refusing either to accept an intolerable moral situation or to make other
                    people's moral choices for them.
                    But isn't this the great ethical dilemma of our time? Do we make other
                    people's moral decisions for them and end up not only with thought police but with
                    Talibans, torture, inquisitions and executions? Or do we turn our backs on
                    oppression, slavery and genocide, saying 'Well, we can't make their moral
                    choices for them?' Where do we find balance? Where do we find the creative
                    tension that sings between the two? These are not questions that should--or
                    can--be answered glibly, and if I seemed to be doing so, I certainly apologize.

                    Anne

                  • jamcconney@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 9, 2004
                      In my previous post, the first paragraph is David's and the rest is my
                      reply. Somehow I and the computer conspired to run them together. Oops.
                      Anne

                    • Beth Russell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
                        Thanks to you all for the Omelas name and information. Now to locate
                        the book in my house! What other books is it stuck under, behind or
                        between?

                        Cheers,

                        Beth