RE: [mythsoc] More about the Tolkien trademark

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
      From: WendellWag@... [mailto:WendellWag@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 8:50 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] More about the Tolkien trademark

      Saul Zaentz acquired the cinematic rights because Tolkien sold them in
      1968.
      (I don't think he bought them himself in 1968. I think another group
      did and decided not to make the film and then sold the rights to
      Zaentz.) Previously I had heard that Tolkien got 100,000 pounds (about
      $250,000 at that time) for them. More recently though, I have heard
      that he only got 10,000 pounds (about $25,000) for them. $25,000 wasn't
      even very good money for a film script in 1968. Zaentz, who produced
      both the Bakshi and the Jackson film versions, has made approximately
      ten thousand times as much on the films as Tolkien received for the
      rights.

      ***This is the information I gathered on the movie rights for the papers
      I've presented over the the last two years:

      Tolkien sold the film and stage rights in 1969 for 104,000 pounds to
      United Artists. The rights were owned by various other parties,
      including Disney and MGM, until being purchased by Saul Zaentz in 1976,
      so that Bakshi could make his film. But the interviews and memoirs from
      which I got some of this information may not be 100% accurate -- Bakshi
      and John Boorman in particular seem to have selective memories and like
      to paint themselves in the best possible light.

      Janet Croft