RE: [mythsoc] Paladin of Souls

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      I liked *Paladin of Souls* better even than *Curse of Chalion* and I liked
      that first one very much indeed. I thought the plotline was subtle,
      nuanced, and intriguing; the slow parts were there to vary pacing and to
      show forth some of the cultural differences. Also, it was refreshing to
      have a story take place within the context of a pilgrimage (even if the
      five / four gods are in place). As a monotheist, I wouldn't like any
      polytheistic system, but this one is very well worked out. I also liked
      the various twists and turns; the attractive fellow being "undead" and the
      way that the two brothers were linked. Clever military ploys going on,
      too.

      Refreshing to have an older heroine, one w/ a good dollop of common sense,
      and the gift she had was very unusual, seeing souls. (Helped to have it;
      she couldn't have solved the problem otherwise.) I liked the fact that it
      troubled her to have this gift. So often the gifts are wonderful and too
      easily accepted. I'd think that an older heroine would be a good thing in
      feminist thinking.

      I may not persuade you, but at least consider looking at it in a different
      way. ---djb