Fantasy Award Winners

  • ftl_publications
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      I just spent a delightful weekend at Arcana where Tim Powers was
      Guest of Honor. He won the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award and was Guest of
      Honor at the 1995 Mythcon. I was very sad to have missed that
      Mythcon, so I was delighted when I learned that Arcana was bringing
      him here as guest of honor.

      I got to speak with him personally. He graciously autographed each
      and every title of his that I have. Best of all, I filmed an
      interview with him for my public access TV show, TV Bookshelf (he's
      an animated speaker, so I had to keep the camera moving to keep up).
      He attended our Rivendell discussion group meeting, which discussed
      his novels (by his own observation, he did most of the talking, and
      none of us minded at all!). I noted that he drinks a lot of Coca-Cola
      (up to two 12 oz. cans in an hour, but does not appear to be
      overweight), and that he doodles during panels. (Lyda Morehouse
      showed one of the doodles between panels...these were faces and parts
      of faces--mostly eyes--very professionally drawn.) He's a fascinating
      speaker and very gracious.

      I also saw Eleanor Arnason at Arcana. She also has won the Mythopoeic
      Fantasy Award. David Lenander interviewed for her TV Bookshelf, and
      there is now a downloadable version of that interview linked to the
      TV Bookshelf web site (http://www.tvbookshelf.com).

      Eventually, the Tim Powers interview may be there as well (though it
      may not appear until 2005).

      Also, Ruth Berman was given the Minnesota Fantasy Award for her
      lifelong work. I filmed that award ceremony and filmed David Lenander
      interviewing her. I would expect that interview to be placed on the
      web eventually, as well.

      Joan Marie Verba