Re: [mythsoc] Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell author says...

  • jack@greenmanreview.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
      > OK about the name, because she doesn't say that he has no name, but that
      > no-one knows it because he himself has forgotten it. That's quite
      > different from what Jack originally reported (doubtless simply
      > misremembering).

      Possibly. I was listening, not reading. But I'd swear that was what she
      said. Anyone else lsien to it?
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2004
        Dear Joshua,

        Thank you for the transcript and text quotation. This pedant thinks she
        was a bit loose with her terminology!

        Having forgotten a name does not mean that there is no name. On the
        contrary, it expressly says that there is a name. (If I forget my
        dentist appointment, that does not mean there was no appointment.) And
        in the context of LoTR, Sauron, being a Maia, would have known his name.

        Secondly, the Mouth of Sauron came as an emissary, not to do battle.

        Cheers,

        Beth