Re: [mythsoc] Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell author says...

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
      At 03:24 PM 9/30/2004 -0400, Jack wrote:
      >that Tolkien in LoTR has a magician with no name. Which character is that?

      Where did she say this, and in what context?

      I rather doubt that the Blue Magicians are meant. They have names, and
      more importantly they're not characters in LOTR.

      So far as I know the only person called a "magician" in LOTR is Frodo, by
      the Breelanders after that unfortunate incident with the table. He's not
      using his real name, so ...

      Possibly Sauron is meant. Though Aragorn refers to "Sauron" as "his right
      name," in fact it is not: it's an abusive cognomen applied by his enemies,
      and so is every other name we have for him, as far as I recall offhand.
      One of these is "The Necromancer", but whether that's sufficiently
      synonymous with "magician" is a subjective judgment. What his original
      name actually was, we don't know.

      David Bratman
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
        Is it possible they could mean in The Hobbit, where things are still a bit
        fuzzy and it's the Necromancer? OR do they definitely mean in LOTR?

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

      • jack@greenmanreview.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
          > Where did she say this, and in what context?

          It's in an audio file on bloomsbury.com. She's discussing The RAven King,
          the 'unnamed' Magician in her novel.
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
            At 08:26 PM 9/30/2004 -0400, Jack wrote:
            >It's in an audio file on bloomsbury.com. She's discussing The RAven King,
            >the 'unnamed' Magician in her novel.

            Clearly she has a loose definition of "unnamed", then, because "The Raven
            King" is a name, sort of, it's just not a proper name. More of a
            description, but then "Sauron" in origin was a description, and ...

            I've got it.

            She's thinking of the Witch King, the Lord of the Nazgul. He's otherwise
            unnamed (except for an occasional "Angmar" for the country he was once king
            of), and "witch" is close enough of a synonym to "magician". That's gotta
            be it.

            David Bratman
          • jack@greenmanreview.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
              * Clearly she has a loose definition of "unnamed", then, because "The Raven
              * King" is a name, sort of, it's just not a proper name. More of a
              * description, but then "Sauron" in origin was a description, and ...
              *
              * I've got it.
              *
              * She's thinking of the Witch King, the Lord of the Nazgul. He's otherwise
              * unnamed (except for an occasional "Angmar" for the country he was once king
              * of), and "witch" is close enough of a synonym to "magician". That's gotta
              * be it.

              Thanks David. I finished the first several chapters -- it's entertaining
              in a breezy way.
            • Joshua Ellis
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
                > She's thinking of the Witch King, the Lord of
                > the Nazgul. He's otherwise unnamed (except for
                > an occasional "Angmar" for the country he was
                > once king of), and "witch" is close enough of
                > a synonym to "magician". That's gotta be it.

                I found a text copy of the interview on indigo.ca
                (<http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Catalog=books&Item=978074757411>)
                and from that it is clear she is referring to The Mouth of Sauron.

                From the interview:

                The Raven King had an odd genesis. Ursula Le
                Guin has a magician in the Earthsea trilogy
                who has no name: the Grey Mage of Paln, whose
                magic was so dubious, his name was forgotten. And
                there’s a magician in The Lord of the Rings, right
                at the very end, who comes out of Mordor to do
                battle against our heroes, and no one knows his
                name because he himself has forgotten it.

                From The Return of the King:

                The rider was robed all in black, and black
                was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith
                but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower
                of Barad-Dûr he was, and his name is remembered
                in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it,
                and he said: "I am the Mouth of Sauron."

                --
                ===[Joshua Ellis]===============[S-D-G]===============[-0.809016994]===
                josh@... -+- http://www.apostate.com/ -+- LJ:deteriorata
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
                  At 01:53 PM 10/1/2004 -0500, Joshua Ellis wrote:

                  >I found a text copy of the interview on indigo.ca
                  >(<http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Catalog=books&Item=978074757411>)
                  >and from that it is clear she is referring to The Mouth of Sauron.

                  OK about the name, because she doesn't say that he has no name, but that
                  no-one knows it because he himself has forgotten it. That's quite
                  different from what Jack originally reported (doubtless simply misremembering).

                  However, she's wrong in saying that he's "a magician ... who comes out of
                  Mordor to do battle against our heroes." He represents himself as a herald
                  and ambassador, and while his soldiers give the signal for attack, he does
                  not fight himself. And though it is said that he knows "great sorcery,"
                  he's never shown using it. Some magician.

                  David Bratman
                • jack@greenmanreview.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2004
                    > OK about the name, because she doesn't say that he has no name, but that
                    > no-one knows it because he himself has forgotten it. That's quite
                    > different from what Jack originally reported (doubtless simply
                    > misremembering).

                    Possibly. I was listening, not reading. But I'd swear that was what she
                    said. Anyone else lsien to it?
                  • Beth Russell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2004
                      Dear Joshua,

                      Thank you for the transcript and text quotation. This pedant thinks she
                      was a bit loose with her terminology!

                      Having forgotten a name does not mean that there is no name. On the
                      contrary, it expressly says that there is a name. (If I forget my
                      dentist appointment, that does not mean there was no appointment.) And
                      in the context of LoTR, Sauron, being a Maia, would have known his name.

                      Secondly, the Mouth of Sauron came as an emissary, not to do battle.

                      Cheers,

                      Beth

                      > She's thinking of the Witch King, the Lord of
                      > the Nazgul. He's otherwise unnamed (except for
                      > an occasional "Angmar" for the country he was
                      > once king of), and "witch" is close enough of
                      > a synonym to "magician". That's gotta be it.

                      I found a text copy of the interview on indigo.ca
                      (<http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Catalog=books&Item=978074757411
                      >)
                      and from that it is clear she is referring to The Mouth of Sauron.

                      From the interview:

                      The Raven King had an odd genesis. Ursula Le
                      Guin has a magician in the Earthsea trilogy
                      who has no name: the Grey Mage of Paln, whose
                      magic was so dubious, his name was forgotten. And
                      there’s a magician in The Lord of the Rings, right
                      at the very end, who comes out of Mordor to do
                      battle against our heroes, and no one knows his
                      name because he himself has forgotten it.

                      From The Return of the King: