Re: Fairy Tale Endings

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004

      > >> To perhaps phrase this in a way more suited to discussion:
      > >> *Does* a fairy tale need to have an ending ("happily ever after" or
      > >> not)? And if it doesn't, how does that change what the story means?

      I'm not a huge musical fan, but one that I love is "Into the Woods."
      It deals with this very subject. The first act recounts several
      familiar fairy tales, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel,
      etc., ending with the "happy ever after ending." But then the second
      act continues on with the stories after the happy ending when the wife
      of the giant from the top fo the beanstalk comes down for revenge, and
      the characters learn that there is no such thing as a happy ending.
      There's a lot of chaos and some death and in the end the characters
      learn that there's no such thing as a fairy tale, that the tales are
      just a small section of a whole life that is filled with ups and downs
      and sadness and hope.

      It's a neat show, very dark in the second half, but very interesting.

      -kt
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
        At 12:17 AM 9/30/2004 -0700, Katie Glick wrote:

        >I'm not a huge musical fan, but one that I love is "Into the Woods."
        >It deals with this very subject. The first act recounts several
        >familiar fairy tales, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel,
        >etc., ending with the "happy ever after ending." But then the second
        >act continues on with the stories after the happy ending

        Much as I love "Into the Woods", I find myself, when I listen to a
        recording of it, playing the first act much more than the second. That's a
        risk Mr. Sondheim will just have to take.

        David Bratman