Re: Changing our Fairy Tales

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2004
      As fairy tales interact at some level with mythopoeia, what does
      >> this say about American society? Is it a good thing or a bad thing
      >> or neither or both? Or can we even evaluate this shift from "the
      >> fairy tale has a beginning, middle and end" to "the fairy tale never

      >> ends, and you'll face the same problems over and over"?
      >>
      >> To perhaps phrase this in a way more suited to discussion:
      >> *Does* a fairy tale need to have an ending ("happily ever after" or

      >> not)? And if it doesn't, how does that change what the story means?

      Happened to be reading an interview with Naomi Murchison from 1989,
      talking about her Arthurian fantasy "To the Chapel Perilous". Here is
      her take on endings, or rather non-endings:

      RT: When you were dealing with the Grail legend, did you believe that
      certain elements were crucial to the story and had to be preserved?
      NM: No, I don't think so, but I knew I'd never find out what the end of
      the story was. I knew I had to have an end that wasn't an end.

      Cheers,

      Beth