A Senior Moment?

  • Mari Dole
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
      Hello,

      A dear friend sent me Surprised by Joy on CD, which I have not read in
      over thirty years. At the beginning of the book, it says that this is
      "an unabridged recording of the reading of..." Now, my question is this:
      Did Lewis write about a conversation with Tolkien concerning
      Christianity and myth in this book, as I remember? If he did, it is not
      in this recording. If he didn't, where is this conversation recounted?
      Thank you very much for your help.

      Mari Dole
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
        Mari -

        My offhand recollection is that Lewis only vaguely alludes to Tolkien's
        role in his conversion in _Surprised by Joy_, saying that Tolkien and Dyson
        were among the Christians whom he befriended at Oxford in the 1920s. His
        detailed account of the conversation on Christianity and myth comes in a
        couple of letters he wrote soon afterwards to Arthur Greeves.

        David Bratman
      • Mari Dole
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2004
          Thank you, David. The only thing is, I never read those letters, so now
          I'm wondering where I heard about the conversation. Oh well. Thanks
          again.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
            Mari, Lewis's letters on his conversion are quoted in many and many a book
            about him.

            David Bratman