RE: [mythsoc] News from Ansible

  • Deidre
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
      At 09:31 AM 9/26/04 -0700, you wrote:

      >How do we single men find such amazing women as you
      >all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
      > It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
      >reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
      >Mythcon is demanded.

      I'd suggest joining a local SF club or failing that perhaps a local book
      club. As I have often said, if it wasn't for fandom, my social life would
      be sorely lacking. *smiles* Attending SF cons (esp. all purpose ones) is
      also a good way to meet people.

      Hoping that I'm not stating the obvious,
      Deidre
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
        Actually there have been a number of marriages in the Mythopoeic Society,
        particularly in the early years, though not all of them lasted.

        On the other hand, I belonged to the MythSoc as a single man for 12 years
        and never got so much as one date out of it. Not that I was trying too
        hard: I was making many friends, single and married, of both sexes, and
        didn't want to risk spoiling that love by trying to interject a different
        one. I met my wife-to-be not here at all, but while Regency dancing
        (something else I'd done for ten years before it led to any dates).
        However a reader she certainly was, and taking her to MythSoc events
        considerably advanced our relationship.

        David Bratman
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 27, 2004
          Hi Paul -

          My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon. Suggest you try the
          local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll connect to more Tolkien
          Fans.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa
        • Paul Labaki
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
            --- Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...> wrote:

            > Hi Paul -
            >
            > My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon.
            > Suggest you try the
            > local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll
            > connect to more Tolkien
            > Fans.
            >
            > Mythically yours,
            > Lisa

            Thanks for the advice, Lisa. Hope to meet you in
            person at a con one day.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • ChessQu654@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
              In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
              pflabaki2@... writes:

              > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
              > and 2700 miles away.

              Paul,

              Where are you?

              Christine --- New Jersey
              " The impossible just takes a little longer."
              ~ Author Unknown ~

            • Paul Labaki
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 16, 2004
                Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                ChessQu654@... wrote:In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                pflabaki2@... writes:

                > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                > and 2700 miles away.

                Paul,

                Where are you?

                Christine --- New Jersey
                " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                ~ Author Unknown ~

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 11/16/04 12:23:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  pflabaki2@... writes:

                  > Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email
                  > for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                  Paul,

                  No worries about the delay. Sorry to hear you are having personal issues.
                  Guess it happens to all of us at some time - makes us appreciate the quiet times.

                  Buffalo sounds like an awfully cold place to be through winter. It gets
                  pretty cold here in New Jersey. My parents and brother are moving to North
                  Carolina in June, but I think having the change of seasons is great!

                  Do you belong to a smial? All this organized Tolkien stidy is new to me. I
                  just love his work, and that of C.S. Lewis. Currently, I am jobhunting. When I
                  am more financially stable, I hope to become more active. Right now, all I am
                  doing is job hunting, interviewing, working part-time, filling out graduate
                  school aplications, and studying for GREs and the vet tech exam. I work as a vet
                  tech, and can get better paid with certification. Not to mention, if I move
                  out of NJ, most other states require it.

                  What type of work do you do? It seems many people on this list work in fields
                  involving literature and writing. Am I inaccurate?

                  Best regards,
                  Christine (VanSaders) who rarely posts but enjoys reading everything