Owning Tolkien (was News from Ansible)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
      At 09:17 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet wrote:
      >I think he did own a paperback copy, but was trying to catch my
      >attention...

      Oh ho, library checkouts as a courting technique! I like any woman who's
      impressed by _that_.

      >Between office, home, and daughter's room, we probably own about seven
      >sets now.

      I think we only have six, but they're all different editions, and one's the
      original Dutch translation.

      >I think I now own copies of just about everything except a
      >few volumes of the History of Middle-earth (I even have photocopies of
      >the early poems published in the Leeds University Verse 1914-1924),

      I have photocopies of most of the early poetry too, most of them
      second-generation copies given me by others. However, lots of it, at least
      in slightly different texts, has been reprinted in HoME.

      >my
      >most recent acquisition being the 1995 edition of the Father Christmas
      >letters with the envelopes containing reproductions of the letters.

      A virtually worthless edition, of interest only to collectors.

      David Bratman
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004
        >my
        >most recent acquisition being the 1995 edition of the Father Christmas
        >letters with the envelopes containing reproductions of the letters.

        A virtually worthless edition, of interest only to collectors.

        David Bratman

        ***But cute! I have the first edition, with selected letters, and the
        more complete (and more useful to the scholar)second edition with the
        slightly different title, plus the miniature edition as well. I guess
        that makes me a Father Christmas letters completist...

        Janet

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2004

          David said:
          > A virtually worthless edition, of interest only to collectors.

          Isn't that what we are? I think it sounds kind of neat. I haven't seen
          that edition. My dad has a regular edition, which I used to read, and I
          see there is a "new" edition, which I hope to get one of these days. All
          those lovely stories and illustrations and letters and things.

          Lizzie