Re: [mythsoc] News from Ansible

  • Deidre
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 15, 2004
      At 08:10 PM 9/13/04 -0700, David wrote:
      >Ansible, by Dave Langford, is an award-winning monthly UK science-fiction &
      >fantasy newsletter. A couple items of interest this month:

      Thanks for posting these. I posted about them in my LJ, and sent a email
      around to friends not on LJ. Obviously the DR polled some muggles/mundanes.
      Most female readers of fantasy that I know would be happy to find a guy who
      reads fantasy. As for the anti-HP vid, sounds like someone might ought to
      think about suing for copyright violations, not to mention what sounds like
      poor editing, and of course, being a bunch of hooey.
      .
      Deidre
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 15, 2004
        At 11:41 PM 9/15/2004 -0400, Deidre wrote:

        >Most female readers of fantasy that I know would be happy to find a guy who
        >reads fantasy.

        Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my wife
        that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books on my
        shelf.

        DB
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 16, 2004
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
            While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
            of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

            Janet

            > Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my
            wife
            > that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books
            on my
            > shelf.

            And on a very early date with my now-husband, he impressed me most by
            completing a quote I made from WINNIE-THE-POOH.

            Diamond Proudbrook

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
              At 08:06 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet Croft wrote:
              >While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
              >of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

              What, he didn't already own a copy?

              I've only ever checked out two books by Tolkien from libraries in my entire
              life, I think. (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, immediately after first
              reading LOTR and before discovering I could get it in The Tolkien Reader;
              and Beowulf and the Critics, which I haven't shelled out for yet.)
              Everything else I've bought, usually immediately.

              David Bratman
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                I think he did own a paperback copy, but was trying to catch my
                attention...

                Between office, home, and daughter's room, we probably own about seven
                sets now. I think I now own copies of just about everything except a
                few volumes of the History of Middle-earth (I even have photocopies of
                the early poems published in the Leeds University Verse 1914-1924), my
                most recent acquisition being the 1995 edition of the Father Christmas
                letters with the envelopes containing reproductions of the letters.

                Janet

                At 08:06 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet Croft wrote:
                >While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                >of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                What, he didn't already own a copy?

                I've only ever checked out two books by Tolkien from libraries in my
                entire
                life, I think. (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, immediately after first
                reading LOTR and before discovering I could get it in The Tolkien
                Reader;
                and Beowulf and the Critics, which I haven't shelled out for yet.)
                Everything else I've bought, usually immediately.

                David Bratman

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                  From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                  > While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                  > of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                  Oh, Janet, you have such good taste! And your daughter's a mighty fine
                  person, too.

                  Berni
                • Paul Labaki
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                    --- "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                    > While I started dating my husband-to-be because I
                    > saw him checking Lord
                    > of the Rings out at the library where we both
                    > worked!
                    >
                    > Janet

                    How do we single men find such amazing women as you
                    all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
                    It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
                    reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
                    Mythcon is demanded. Last time I planned to go (1998)
                    I ended up in the hospital for a week and a half
                    instead. Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                    and 2700 miles away.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Deidre
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                      At 09:31 AM 9/26/04 -0700, you wrote:

                      >How do we single men find such amazing women as you
                      >all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
                      > It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
                      >reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
                      >Mythcon is demanded.

                      I'd suggest joining a local SF club or failing that perhaps a local book
                      club. As I have often said, if it wasn't for fandom, my social life would
                      be sorely lacking. *smiles* Attending SF cons (esp. all purpose ones) is
                      also a good way to meet people.

                      Hoping that I'm not stating the obvious,
                      Deidre
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                        Actually there have been a number of marriages in the Mythopoeic Society,
                        particularly in the early years, though not all of them lasted.

                        On the other hand, I belonged to the MythSoc as a single man for 12 years
                        and never got so much as one date out of it. Not that I was trying too
                        hard: I was making many friends, single and married, of both sexes, and
                        didn't want to risk spoiling that love by trying to interject a different
                        one. I met my wife-to-be not here at all, but while Regency dancing
                        (something else I'd done for ten years before it led to any dates).
                        However a reader she certainly was, and taking her to MythSoc events
                        considerably advanced our relationship.

                        David Bratman
                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 27, 2004
                          Hi Paul -

                          My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon. Suggest you try the
                          local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll connect to more Tolkien
                          Fans.

                          Mythically yours,
                          Lisa
                        • Paul Labaki
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                            --- Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Paul -
                            >
                            > My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon.
                            > Suggest you try the
                            > local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll
                            > connect to more Tolkien
                            > Fans.
                            >
                            > Mythically yours,
                            > Lisa

                            Thanks for the advice, Lisa. Hope to meet you in
                            person at a con one day.

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • ChessQu654@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
                              In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                              pflabaki2@... writes:

                              > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                              > and 2700 miles away.

                              Paul,

                              Where are you?

                              Christine --- New Jersey
                              " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                              ~ Author Unknown ~

                            • Paul Labaki
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 16 12:05 PM
                                Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                                ChessQu654@... wrote:In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                pflabaki2@... writes:

                                > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                                > and 2700 miles away.

                                Paul,

                                Where are you?

                                Christine --- New Jersey
                                " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                ~ Author Unknown ~

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 1, 2004
                                  In a message dated 11/16/04 12:23:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  pflabaki2@... writes:

                                  > Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email
                                  > for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                                  Paul,

                                  No worries about the delay. Sorry to hear you are having personal issues.
                                  Guess it happens to all of us at some time - makes us appreciate the quiet times.

                                  Buffalo sounds like an awfully cold place to be through winter. It gets
                                  pretty cold here in New Jersey. My parents and brother are moving to North
                                  Carolina in June, but I think having the change of seasons is great!

                                  Do you belong to a smial? All this organized Tolkien stidy is new to me. I
                                  just love his work, and that of C.S. Lewis. Currently, I am jobhunting. When I
                                  am more financially stable, I hope to become more active. Right now, all I am
                                  doing is job hunting, interviewing, working part-time, filling out graduate
                                  school aplications, and studying for GREs and the vet tech exam. I work as a vet
                                  tech, and can get better paid with certification. Not to mention, if I move
                                  out of NJ, most other states require it.

                                  What type of work do you do? It seems many people on this list work in fields
                                  involving literature and writing. Am I inaccurate?

                                  Best regards,
                                  Christine (VanSaders) who rarely posts but enjoys reading everything