Re: [mythsoc] C S Lewis and God

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
      I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.

      Wendell Wagner
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
        Apologies to Wendell and any offended. Six years of Jesuit education at
        Marquette is a reason if not an excuse.

        Mike Foster

        WendellWag@... wrote:

        >I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.
        >
        >Wendell Wagner

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
          If one would think of how many times a student wd. have to write out
          'Christianity' in the course of 16 years of Catholic education
          note-taking, one might understand why a shorthand version of the term
          might be necessary.

          MAF

        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
            The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
            still employed in Catholic iconography.

            I'm quite familiar with a Chi Rho--I've just never seen it used in that way.
            I do know from experience that one probably won't get far in seminary
            without learning (in sheer self-preservation) the abbreviations X Xn and Xty. I
            suppose the ChiRho could be used in the same way, but why bother? The idea of
            an abbreviation is to save time, space, trouble, etc. But please don't think
            I'm being fussy. If anybody wants to use a Chi Rho instead of a simple
            Chi--power to you. Whatever works for you.
            Anne
            P.S. Many churches other than the (Roman) Catholic use the Chi Rho as a
            symbol or icon.

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
              Shouldn't it be Xpty? I've always used Xty, myself, in such circumstances.
              If hand-writing, I might loop the upper right arm of the X into a P.

              One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
              referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
              "JBap."

              DP
            • ChessQu654@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                Scott,

                I've been lurking here for some time. C.S. Lewis caught my eye, adn had to
                answer........My favorite outside of The Chronicles...has to be The Screwtape
                Letters. It's one of his shorter works, and is written as a series of letters
                making it a good book if you can't read it all in one sitting.

                Best regards,
                Christine
                " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                ~ Author Unknown ~

              • ChessQu654@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                  Scoot,

                  Nearly forgot.....I read C.S. Lewis's Letters to Children.

                  He answered letters from children personally and I thoroughly enjoyed his
                  answers.

                  Christine

                  " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                  ~ Author Unknown ~

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                    From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

                    > One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                    > referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                    > "JBap."

                    No -- that makes me think of JLo, and I don't want to think of her. Of
                    course, the BVM has always been the BVM because "the Blessed Virgin Mary" is
                    just too many syllables.

                    Berni, whose full name has too many letters
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                      From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>