Re: [mythsoc] C S Lewis and God

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
      Oh I am sure that many of us are familiar enough with the Chi-Rho, but this
      is the first time I have seen that particular bit of abbreviation-speak.
      Not so sure that I will retain it for myself, but to each their own.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
        I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.

        Wendell Wagner
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
          Apologies to Wendell and any offended. Six years of Jesuit education at
          Marquette is a reason if not an excuse.

          Mike Foster

          WendellWag@... wrote:

          >I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.
          >
          >Wendell Wagner

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
            If one would think of how many times a student wd. have to write out
            'Christianity' in the course of 16 years of Catholic education
            note-taking, one might understand why a shorthand version of the term
            might be necessary.

            MAF

          • jamcconney@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
              The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
              still employed in Catholic iconography.

              I'm quite familiar with a Chi Rho--I've just never seen it used in that way.
              I do know from experience that one probably won't get far in seminary
              without learning (in sheer self-preservation) the abbreviations X Xn and Xty. I
              suppose the ChiRho could be used in the same way, but why bother? The idea of
              an abbreviation is to save time, space, trouble, etc. But please don't think
              I'm being fussy. If anybody wants to use a Chi Rho instead of a simple
              Chi--power to you. Whatever works for you.
              Anne
              P.S. Many churches other than the (Roman) Catholic use the Chi Rho as a
              symbol or icon.

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                Shouldn't it be Xpty? I've always used Xty, myself, in such circumstances.
                If hand-writing, I might loop the upper right arm of the X into a P.

                One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                "JBap."

                DP
              • ChessQu654@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                  Scott,

                  I've been lurking here for some time. C.S. Lewis caught my eye, adn had to
                  answer........My favorite outside of The Chronicles...has to be The Screwtape
                  Letters. It's one of his shorter works, and is written as a series of letters
                  making it a good book if you can't read it all in one sitting.

                  Best regards,
                  Christine
                  " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                  ~ Author Unknown ~

                • ChessQu654@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                    Scoot,

                    Nearly forgot.....I read C.S. Lewis's Letters to Children.

                    He answered letters from children personally and I thoroughly enjoyed his
                    answers.

                    Christine

                    " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                    ~ Author Unknown ~

                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                      From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

                      > One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                      > referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                      > "JBap."

                      No -- that makes me think of JLo, and I don't want to think of her. Of
                      course, the BVM has always been the BVM because "the Blessed Virgin Mary" is
                      just too many syllables.

                      Berni, whose full name has too many letters
                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>