Re: [mythsoc] C S Lewis and God

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
      The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
      still employed in Catholic iconography.

      Mike

      jamcconney@... wrote:

      >but the Greek letter is just 'X'
      >Anne:
      >
      >Christianity
      >= Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.
      >
      >Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      >

      >>Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
      >>
      >>Lizzie

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
        Oh I am sure that many of us are familiar enough with the Chi-Rho, but this
        is the first time I have seen that particular bit of abbreviation-speak.
        Not so sure that I will retain it for myself, but to each their own.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
          I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
            Apologies to Wendell and any offended. Six years of Jesuit education at
            Marquette is a reason if not an excuse.

            Mike Foster

            WendellWag@... wrote:

            >I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.
            >
            >Wendell Wagner

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
              If one would think of how many times a student wd. have to write out
              'Christianity' in the course of 16 years of Catholic education
              note-taking, one might understand why a shorthand version of the term
              might be necessary.

              MAF

            • jamcconney@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
                still employed in Catholic iconography.

                I'm quite familiar with a Chi Rho--I've just never seen it used in that way.
                I do know from experience that one probably won't get far in seminary
                without learning (in sheer self-preservation) the abbreviations X Xn and Xty. I
                suppose the ChiRho could be used in the same way, but why bother? The idea of
                an abbreviation is to save time, space, trouble, etc. But please don't think
                I'm being fussy. If anybody wants to use a Chi Rho instead of a simple
                Chi--power to you. Whatever works for you.
                Anne
                P.S. Many churches other than the (Roman) Catholic use the Chi Rho as a
                symbol or icon.

              • Stolzi
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                  Shouldn't it be Xpty? I've always used Xty, myself, in such circumstances.
                  If hand-writing, I might loop the upper right arm of the X into a P.

                  One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                  referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                  "JBap."

                  DP
                • ChessQu654@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                    Scott,

                    I've been lurking here for some time. C.S. Lewis caught my eye, adn had to
                    answer........My favorite outside of The Chronicles...has to be The Screwtape
                    Letters. It's one of his shorter works, and is written as a series of letters
                    making it a good book if you can't read it all in one sitting.

                    Best regards,
                    Christine
                    " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                    ~ Author Unknown ~

                  • ChessQu654@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                      Scoot,

                      Nearly forgot.....I read C.S. Lewis's Letters to Children.

                      He answered letters from children personally and I thoroughly enjoyed his
                      answers.

                      Christine

                      " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                      ~ Author Unknown ~

                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

                        > One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                        > referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                        > "JBap."

                        No -- that makes me think of JLo, and I don't want to think of her. Of
                        course, the BVM has always been the BVM because "the Blessed Virgin Mary" is
                        just too many syllables.

                        Berni, whose full name has too many letters
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                          From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>