Re: [mythsoc] C S Lewis and God

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
      but the Greek letter is just 'X'
      Anne:

      Christianity
      = Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      >Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
      >
      >Lizzie

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
        The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
        still employed in Catholic iconography.

        Mike

        jamcconney@... wrote:

        >but the Greek letter is just 'X'
        >Anne:
        >
        >Christianity
        >= Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.
        >
        >Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
        >

        >>Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
        >>
        >>Lizzie

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
          Oh I am sure that many of us are familiar enough with the Chi-Rho, but this
          is the first time I have seen that particular bit of abbreviation-speak.
          Not so sure that I will retain it for myself, but to each their own.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
            I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.

            Wendell Wagner
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
              Apologies to Wendell and any offended. Six years of Jesuit education at
              Marquette is a reason if not an excuse.

              Mike Foster

              WendellWag@... wrote:

              >I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.
              >
              >Wendell Wagner

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                If one would think of how many times a student wd. have to write out
                'Christianity' in the course of 16 years of Catholic education
                note-taking, one might understand why a shorthand version of the term
                might be necessary.

                MAF

              • jamcconney@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                  The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
                  still employed in Catholic iconography.

                  I'm quite familiar with a Chi Rho--I've just never seen it used in that way.
                  I do know from experience that one probably won't get far in seminary
                  without learning (in sheer self-preservation) the abbreviations X Xn and Xty. I
                  suppose the ChiRho could be used in the same way, but why bother? The idea of
                  an abbreviation is to save time, space, trouble, etc. But please don't think
                  I'm being fussy. If anybody wants to use a Chi Rho instead of a simple
                  Chi--power to you. Whatever works for you.
                  Anne
                  P.S. Many churches other than the (Roman) Catholic use the Chi Rho as a
                  symbol or icon.

                • Stolzi
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                    Shouldn't it be Xpty? I've always used Xty, myself, in such circumstances.
                    If hand-writing, I might loop the upper right arm of the X into a P.

                    One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                    referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                    "JBap."

                    DP
                  • ChessQu654@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                      Scott,

                      I've been lurking here for some time. C.S. Lewis caught my eye, adn had to
                      answer........My favorite outside of The Chronicles...has to be The Screwtape
                      Letters. It's one of his shorter works, and is written as a series of letters
                      making it a good book if you can't read it all in one sitting.

                      Best regards,
                      Christine
                      " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                      ~ Author Unknown ~

                    • ChessQu654@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                        Scoot,

                        Nearly forgot.....I read C.S. Lewis's Letters to Children.

                        He answered letters from children personally and I thoroughly enjoyed his
                        answers.

                        Christine

                        " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                        ~ Author Unknown ~

                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                          From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

                          > One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                          > referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                          > "JBap."

                          No -- that makes me think of JLo, and I don't want to think of her. Of
                          course, the BVM has always been the BVM because "the Blessed Virgin Mary" is
                          just too many syllables.

                          Berni, whose full name has too many letters
                        • Berni Phillips
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                            From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>