News from Ansible

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
      Ansible, by Dave Langford, is an award-winning monthly UK science-fiction &
      fantasy newsletter. A couple items of interest this month:

      >R.I.P. _Peter Woodthorpe_ (1931-2004), UK actor who voiced Gollum in both
      >BBC Radio 4 adaptations of _The Lord of the Rings_ and in the Ralph
      >Bakshi animation, died on 12 August aged 72.

      >AS OTHERS SEE US. _The Daily Record_ warns that reading fantasy may
      >be bad for your sex life: `Penguin books quizzed 1000 females about the
      >holiday reads they would look for in a mate. / They found fantasy fiction
      >like JK Rowling's series, JRR Tolkien's _Lord Of The Rings_ and Terry
      >Pratchett's Discworld novels put girls off. / Sex and relationships
      >expert Tracey Cox [...] said men escaping into alternative realities
      >appear to have less grip on the real world.' Oh dear!

      >HARRY POTTER AND THE VERY GREAT WICKEDNESS. This review in _The Wave_
      >leads us to marvel once again at the courage of those who are
      >prepared, in the name of religion, to make utter idiots of themselves:
      >http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=22182
    • Deidre
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 15, 2004
        At 08:10 PM 9/13/04 -0700, David wrote:
        >Ansible, by Dave Langford, is an award-winning monthly UK science-fiction &
        >fantasy newsletter. A couple items of interest this month:

        Thanks for posting these. I posted about them in my LJ, and sent a email
        around to friends not on LJ. Obviously the DR polled some muggles/mundanes.
        Most female readers of fantasy that I know would be happy to find a guy who
        reads fantasy. As for the anti-HP vid, sounds like someone might ought to
        think about suing for copyright violations, not to mention what sounds like
        poor editing, and of course, being a bunch of hooey.
        .
        Deidre
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 15, 2004
          At 11:41 PM 9/15/2004 -0400, Deidre wrote:

          >Most female readers of fantasy that I know would be happy to find a guy who
          >reads fantasy.

          Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my wife
          that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books on my
          shelf.

          DB
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 16, 2004
            From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

            > Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my
            wife
            > that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books on my
            > shelf.

            And on a very early date with my now-husband, he impressed me most by
            completing a quote I made from WINNIE-THE-POOH.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
              While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
              of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

              Janet

              > Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my
              wife
              > that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books
              on my
              > shelf.

              And on a very early date with my now-husband, he impressed me most by
              completing a quote I made from WINNIE-THE-POOH.

              Diamond Proudbrook

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                At 08:06 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet Croft wrote:
                >While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                >of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                What, he didn't already own a copy?

                I've only ever checked out two books by Tolkien from libraries in my entire
                life, I think. (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, immediately after first
                reading LOTR and before discovering I could get it in The Tolkien Reader;
                and Beowulf and the Critics, which I haven't shelled out for yet.)
                Everything else I've bought, usually immediately.

                David Bratman
              • Croft, Janet B.
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                  I think he did own a paperback copy, but was trying to catch my
                  attention...

                  Between office, home, and daughter's room, we probably own about seven
                  sets now. I think I now own copies of just about everything except a
                  few volumes of the History of Middle-earth (I even have photocopies of
                  the early poems published in the Leeds University Verse 1914-1924), my
                  most recent acquisition being the 1995 edition of the Father Christmas
                  letters with the envelopes containing reproductions of the letters.

                  Janet

                  At 08:06 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet Croft wrote:
                  >While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                  >of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                  What, he didn't already own a copy?

                  I've only ever checked out two books by Tolkien from libraries in my
                  entire
                  life, I think. (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, immediately after first
                  reading LOTR and before discovering I could get it in The Tolkien
                  Reader;
                  and Beowulf and the Critics, which I haven't shelled out for yet.)
                  Everything else I've bought, usually immediately.

                  David Bratman

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                    From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                    > While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                    > of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                    Oh, Janet, you have such good taste! And your daughter's a mighty fine
                    person, too.

                    Berni
                  • Paul Labaki
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                      --- "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                      > While I started dating my husband-to-be because I
                      > saw him checking Lord
                      > of the Rings out at the library where we both
                      > worked!
                      >
                      > Janet

                      How do we single men find such amazing women as you
                      all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
                      It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
                      reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
                      Mythcon is demanded. Last time I planned to go (1998)
                      I ended up in the hospital for a week and a half
                      instead. Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                      and 2700 miles away.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Deidre
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                        At 09:31 AM 9/26/04 -0700, you wrote:

                        >How do we single men find such amazing women as you
                        >all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
                        > It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
                        >reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
                        >Mythcon is demanded.

                        I'd suggest joining a local SF club or failing that perhaps a local book
                        club. As I have often said, if it wasn't for fandom, my social life would
                        be sorely lacking. *smiles* Attending SF cons (esp. all purpose ones) is
                        also a good way to meet people.

                        Hoping that I'm not stating the obvious,
                        Deidre
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                          Actually there have been a number of marriages in the Mythopoeic Society,
                          particularly in the early years, though not all of them lasted.

                          On the other hand, I belonged to the MythSoc as a single man for 12 years
                          and never got so much as one date out of it. Not that I was trying too
                          hard: I was making many friends, single and married, of both sexes, and
                          didn't want to risk spoiling that love by trying to interject a different
                          one. I met my wife-to-be not here at all, but while Regency dancing
                          (something else I'd done for ten years before it led to any dates).
                          However a reader she certainly was, and taking her to MythSoc events
                          considerably advanced our relationship.

                          David Bratman
                        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 27, 2004
                            Hi Paul -

                            My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon. Suggest you try the
                            local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll connect to more Tolkien
                            Fans.

                            Mythically yours,
                            Lisa
                          • Paul Labaki
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                              --- Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Paul -
                              >
                              > My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon.
                              > Suggest you try the
                              > local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll
                              > connect to more Tolkien
                              > Fans.
                              >
                              > Mythically yours,
                              > Lisa

                              Thanks for the advice, Lisa. Hope to meet you in
                              person at a con one day.

                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                            • ChessQu654@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
                                In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                pflabaki2@... writes:

                                > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                                > and 2700 miles away.

                                Paul,

                                Where are you?

                                Christine --- New Jersey
                                " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                ~ Author Unknown ~

                              • Paul Labaki
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 16, 2004
                                  Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                                  ChessQu654@... wrote:In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                  pflabaki2@... writes:

                                  > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                                  > and 2700 miles away.

                                  Paul,

                                  Where are you?

                                  Christine --- New Jersey
                                  " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                  ~ Author Unknown ~

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 1, 2004
                                    In a message dated 11/16/04 12:23:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                    pflabaki2@... writes:

                                    > Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email
                                    > for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                                    Paul,

                                    No worries about the delay. Sorry to hear you are having personal issues.
                                    Guess it happens to all of us at some time - makes us appreciate the quiet times.

                                    Buffalo sounds like an awfully cold place to be through winter. It gets
                                    pretty cold here in New Jersey. My parents and brother are moving to North
                                    Carolina in June, but I think having the change of seasons is great!

                                    Do you belong to a smial? All this organized Tolkien stidy is new to me. I
                                    just love his work, and that of C.S. Lewis. Currently, I am jobhunting. When I
                                    am more financially stable, I hope to become more active. Right now, all I am
                                    doing is job hunting, interviewing, working part-time, filling out graduate
                                    school aplications, and studying for GREs and the vet tech exam. I work as a vet
                                    tech, and can get better paid with certification. Not to mention, if I move
                                    out of NJ, most other states require it.

                                    What type of work do you do? It seems many people on this list work in fields
                                    involving literature and writing. Am I inaccurate?

                                    Best regards,
                                    Christine (VanSaders) who rarely posts but enjoys reading everything