Re: [mythsoc] C S Lewis and God

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
      Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia

      It
      > >is a retelling of the story of Cupid and Psyche from the perspective of
      > >Psyche's oldest sister, Orual.
      > >
      > >Alisson
      > >

      > >"And the night shall be filled with music,
      > > And the cares, that infest the day,
      > >Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
      > > And as silently steal away."
      > > -H.W. Longfellow, The Day is Done
      > >

      > >>From: "Scott Fontenot" <scott.fontenot@...>
      > >>To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      > >>Subject: [mythsoc] C S Lewis and God
      > >>Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:05:34 -0500
      > >>
      > >>Sorry if this has been asked before but......What did C S Lewis have to
      say
      > >>on the subject of why God allows pain and suffering if he loves us?
      (the
      > >>short answer is fine....hope there is a short one :))
      > >>
      > >>Also, could the list suggest a reading order for someone wanting to
      read
      > >>what C S Lewis for the first time (excluding the Naria stories).
      > >>Thanks,
      > >>Scott Fontenot

      > >Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
      FREE!
      > >http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
        Christianity
        = Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
          but the Greek letter is just 'X'
          Anne:

          Christianity
          = Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

          >Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
          >
          >Lizzie

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
            The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
            still employed in Catholic iconography.

            Mike

            jamcconney@... wrote:

            >but the Greek letter is just 'X'
            >Anne:
            >
            >Christianity
            >= Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.
            >
            >Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
            >

            >>Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
            >>
            >>Lizzie

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
              Oh I am sure that many of us are familiar enough with the Chi-Rho, but this
              is the first time I have seen that particular bit of abbreviation-speak.
              Not so sure that I will retain it for myself, but to each their own.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.

                Wendell Wagner
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                  Apologies to Wendell and any offended. Six years of Jesuit education at
                  Marquette is a reason if not an excuse.

                  Mike Foster

                  WendellWag@... wrote:

                  >I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.
                  >
                  >Wendell Wagner

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                    If one would think of how many times a student wd. have to write out
                    'Christianity' in the course of 16 years of Catholic education
                    note-taking, one might understand why a shorthand version of the term
                    might be necessary.

                    MAF

                  • jamcconney@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                      The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
                      still employed in Catholic iconography.

                      I'm quite familiar with a Chi Rho--I've just never seen it used in that way.
                      I do know from experience that one probably won't get far in seminary
                      without learning (in sheer self-preservation) the abbreviations X Xn and Xty. I
                      suppose the ChiRho could be used in the same way, but why bother? The idea of
                      an abbreviation is to save time, space, trouble, etc. But please don't think
                      I'm being fussy. If anybody wants to use a Chi Rho instead of a simple
                      Chi--power to you. Whatever works for you.
                      Anne
                      P.S. Many churches other than the (Roman) Catholic use the Chi Rho as a
                      symbol or icon.

                    • Stolzi
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                        Shouldn't it be Xpty? I've always used Xty, myself, in such circumstances.
                        If hand-writing, I might loop the upper right arm of the X into a P.

                        One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                        referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                        "JBap."

                        DP
                      • ChessQu654@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                          Scott,

                          I've been lurking here for some time. C.S. Lewis caught my eye, adn had to
                          answer........My favorite outside of The Chronicles...has to be The Screwtape
                          Letters. It's one of his shorter works, and is written as a series of letters
                          making it a good book if you can't read it all in one sitting.

                          Best regards,
                          Christine
                          " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                          ~ Author Unknown ~

                        • ChessQu654@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                            Scoot,

                            Nearly forgot.....I read C.S. Lewis's Letters to Children.

                            He answered letters from children personally and I thoroughly enjoyed his
                            answers.

                            Christine

                            " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                            ~ Author Unknown ~

                          • Berni Phillips
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                              From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

                              > One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                              > referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                              > "JBap."

                              No -- that makes me think of JLo, and I don't want to think of her. Of
                              course, the BVM has always been the BVM because "the Blessed Virgin Mary" is
                              just too many syllables.

                              Berni, whose full name has too many letters
                            • Berni Phillips
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>