Shoddy Lands (was: C.S. Lewis and God)

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2004
      In a message dated 9/13/2004 1:59:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      "And if you get a chance to read _The Shoddy Lands_, which I believe is a
      short story, you might enjoy that one as well."

      Warning: I found this story horribly misogynistic (and when I read it, I was
      much younger and less feminist than I am now). Perhaps I was missing
      something; I've read some internet analyses suggesting that Lewis was making fun of
      the misogyny of the main character, but that wasn't at all my take on it.

      What do other people think of this story?

      Susan

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2004
        Well, it's not the most charismatic take on the subject, but I think it
        gives a telling insight into the real personality of this writer so many of
        us worship so. He's not Professor Tolkien, not by a long shot. Leaf by
        Niggle (Tolkien's tale) is, I think, a much more compassionate take on
        human frailties.

        Also I must confess that I can relate way too well to the one I think he
        called Rainbo or some such awful thing.

        Lizzie the Flirt, who doesn't think that it would have been much fun to
        flirt with Prof. Lewis.

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2004
          And if you get a chance to read _The Shoddy Lands_, which I believe is a
          short story, you might enjoy that one as well."

          Warning: I found this story horribly misogynistic

          I think I too may have been less feminist than I am now when I first read
          it, but at the time I simply thought he was making fun of a certain attitude of
          mind. But the fact is that Lewis had his chauvinist streak...as in the main
          female character (forget her name) in Hidious Strength. Poor Lewis, I'm not
          sure we can blame him too much--until Joy came along, his only pleasant social
          interactions were with other males....
          Anne

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
            I didn't necessarily feel this was a take on all womanhood, but a take on
            Peggy, who was a shallow individual. I was rather disturbed that not a
            single good characteristic was part of her mental framework.

            It's interesting too that the last line says something like "What if
            someone were to look into my mind?" [not an exact quote.] But the most
            disturbing part for me was the knocking on the outside, and the voice
            saying "Child, let me in before the night comes." That image stuck with me
            far longer than any of the others. ---djb

            lizziewriter@... writes:

            "And if you get a chance to read _The Shoddy Lands_, which I believe is a
            short story, you might enjoy that one as well."

            Warning: I found this story horribly misogynistic (and when I read it, I
            was
            much younger and less feminist than I am now). Perhaps I was missing
            something; I've read some internet analyses suggesting that Lewis was
            making fun of
            the misogyny of the main character, but that wasn't at all my take on it.

            What do other people think of this story?

            Susan

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
              "dianejoy@..." wrote:

              > It's interesting too that the last line says something like "What if
              > someone were to look into my mind?" [not an exact quote.]

              "If I were not the explorer but the explored?" (still
              paraphrasing, but I think that's closer)

              > But the most
              > disturbing part for me was the knocking on the outside, and the voice
              > saying "Child, let me in before the night comes." That image stuck with me
              > far longer than any of the others. ---djb

              Yes! That's the passage that, every time, literally makes my
              scalp prickle.

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>