C S Lewis and God

  • Scott Fontenot
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
      Sorry if this has been asked before but......What did C S Lewis have to say on the subject of why God allows pain and suffering if he loves us? (the short answer is fine....hope there is a short one :))

      Also, could the list suggest a reading order for someone wanting to read what C S Lewis for the first time (excluding the Naria stories).
      Thanks,
      Scott Fontenot
    • A.R. Veldhuis
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
        Hi Scott,

        As to recommending books by C.S. Lewis, I recommend the Space Trilogy, which
        is a phenomenal series which is really a sort of science fiction. I
        generally do not like science fiction, but his trilogy is really good, and
        actually right now I am re-reading it for the third time. All three books
        are excellent.

        I also recommend Till We Have Faces, which is one of my favorite books. It
        is a retelling of the story of Cupid and Psyche from the perspective of
        Psyche's oldest sister, Orual.

        Alisson

        �And the night shall be filled with music,
        And the cares, that infest the day,
        Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
        And as silently steal away.�
        -H.W. Longfellow, The Day is Done

      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
          In a message dated 9/13/2004 1:09:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          scott.fontenot@... writes:

          "What did C S Lewis have to say on the subject of why God allows pain and
          suffering if he loves us? (the short answer is fine....hope there is a short one
          :)) "

          Well, not too short. read his book THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which addresses this
          question in depth.

          Susan

        • A.R. Veldhuis
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004

            >"What did C S Lewis have to say on the subject of why God allows pain and
            >suffering if he loves us? (the short answer is fine....hope there is a
            >short one
            >:)) "
            >
            >Well, not too short. read his book THE PROBLEM OF PAIN, which addresses
            >this
            >question in depth.
            >
            >Susan

            Yes, I was going to Mention The Problem of Pain, in which he talks a lot
            about that.

            Also, I forgot to mention the names of the books in the Space Trilogy. They
            are firstly "Out of the Silent Planet", then "Perelandra", then "That
            Hideous Strength."

            Alisson

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
              I would recommend _Surprised by Joy_ and _The Four Loves_. Just my
              personal picks. But I have yet to read _Till We Have Faces_ which I
              understand is very good. Also _The Screwtape Letters_ is very popular.
              And if you get a chance to read _The Shoddy Lands_, which I believe is a
              short story, you might enjoy that one as well.

              I liked the Space Trilogy but sometimes it was a bit thick going, if you
              are coming into Lewis for the first time, out of context as it were. What
              do you like to read ??

              Good luck,

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
                In my course in fantasy literature (Lit. 240) at Illinois Central
                College in East Peoria, I have at various times used some/all of the
                Ransom trilogy over the past 30 years. This term, I'm using all three.
                In past years, student response to Perelandra has often hinged on the
                student's view of religion in general and Pxty in particular.

                The American Chesterton Society magazine Gilbert has published my essays
                on the first two: www.gilbertmagazine.com. For starters, here's the one
                on the first book, published last year.

                Cheers,
                Mike Foster
                Metamora, Ill.

              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
                  --

                  And don't forget his "Grief Observed." Excellent.

                  Grace

                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
                    Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?

                    Lizzie

                    Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia

                    FREE!
                    > >http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
                      Christianity
                      = Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.

                    • jamcconney@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13, 2004
                        but the Greek letter is just 'X'
                        Anne:

                        Christianity
                        = Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.

                        Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                        >Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
                        >
                        >Lizzie

                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                          The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
                          still employed in Catholic iconography.

                          Mike

                          jamcconney@... wrote:

                          >but the Greek letter is just 'X'
                          >Anne:
                          >
                          >Christianity
                          >= Px = Christ [chi rho--Greek] + ty.
                          >
                          >Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
                          >

                          >>Pxty? Protestant Christianity? Or Punxatawney Philology?
                          >>
                          >>Lizzie

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                            Oh I am sure that many of us are familiar enough with the Chi-Rho, but this
                            is the first time I have seen that particular bit of abbreviation-speak.
                            Not so sure that I will retain it for myself, but to each their own.

                            Lizzie

                            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                              I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.

                              Wendell Wagner
                            • Mike Foster
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                Apologies to Wendell and any offended. Six years of Jesuit education at
                                Marquette is a reason if not an excuse.

                                Mike Foster

                                WendellWag@... wrote:

                                >I think that it's really not a good idea to use clever abbreviations like Pxty for Christianity. People, consider your audience. We don't all know every cute new abbreviation.
                                >
                                >Wendell Wagner

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Mike Foster
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                  If one would think of how many times a student wd. have to write out
                                  'Christianity' in the course of 16 years of Catholic education
                                  note-taking, one might understand why a shorthand version of the term
                                  might be necessary.

                                  MAF

                                • jamcconney@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                    The X [Chi] is superimposed over the P [Rho] = Christ. This symbol is
                                    still employed in Catholic iconography.

                                    I'm quite familiar with a Chi Rho--I've just never seen it used in that way.
                                    I do know from experience that one probably won't get far in seminary
                                    without learning (in sheer self-preservation) the abbreviations X Xn and Xty. I
                                    suppose the ChiRho could be used in the same way, but why bother? The idea of
                                    an abbreviation is to save time, space, trouble, etc. But please don't think
                                    I'm being fussy. If anybody wants to use a Chi Rho instead of a simple
                                    Chi--power to you. Whatever works for you.
                                    Anne
                                    P.S. Many churches other than the (Roman) Catholic use the Chi Rho as a
                                    symbol or icon.

                                  • Stolzi
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                      Shouldn't it be Xpty? I've always used Xty, myself, in such circumstances.
                                      If hand-writing, I might loop the upper right arm of the X into a P.

                                      One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                                      referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                                      "JBap."

                                      DP
                                    • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                        Scott,

                                        I've been lurking here for some time. C.S. Lewis caught my eye, adn had to
                                        answer........My favorite outside of The Chronicles...has to be The Screwtape
                                        Letters. It's one of his shorter works, and is written as a series of letters
                                        making it a good book if you can't read it all in one sitting.

                                        Best regards,
                                        Christine
                                        " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                        ~ Author Unknown ~

                                      • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                          Scoot,

                                          Nearly forgot.....I read C.S. Lewis's Letters to Children.

                                          He answered letters from children personally and I thoroughly enjoyed his
                                          answers.

                                          Christine

                                          " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                          ~ Author Unknown ~

                                        • Berni Phillips
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                            From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

                                            > One text on early Christian sources which I read a long time ago kept
                                            > referring to a certain predecessor of Christ in very cavalier fashion as
                                            > "JBap."

                                            No -- that makes me think of JLo, and I don't want to think of her. Of
                                            course, the BVM has always been the BVM because "the Blessed Virgin Mary" is
                                            just too many syllables.

                                            Berni, whose full name has too many letters
                                          • Berni Phillips
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 14, 2004
                                              From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>