PBS to air "CS Lewis vs. Freud: The Question of God"

  • SongofAlbion
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2004
      Remember this airs this week. I'm really looking forward to it. I
      haven't read the book, but I've heard glowing reports.
      -Donovan

      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/

      --- In Mythopoeic@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Murphy" <dlmurphy601@c...>
      wrote: This looks like it might be terrific. Debra

      Walden Media, WGBH Present Lewis/Freud Series "The Question Of God"

      Special Program To Air On September 15 & 22nd On PBS

      The Question of God, a four-hour series on PBS, explores in
      accessible and dramatic style issues that preoccupy all thinking
      people today: What is happiness? How do we find meaning and purpose
      in our lives? How do we reconcile conflicting claims of love and
      sexuality? How do we cope with the problem of suffering and the
      inevitability of death? Based on a popular Harvard course taught by
      Dr. Armand Nicholi, author of The Question of God, the series
      illustrates the lives and insights of Sigmund Freud, a life-long
      critic of religious belief, and C.S. Lewis, a celebrated Oxford don,
      literary critic, and perhaps this century's most influential and
      popular proponent of faith based on reason.

      "It may be that Freud and Lewis represent conflicting parts of
      ourselves," Dr. Nicholi notes. "Part of us yearns for a relationship
      with the source of all joy, hope and happiness, as described by
      Lewis, and yet, there is another part that raises its fist in
      defiance and says with Freud, 'I will not surrender.' Whatever part
      we choose to express will determine our purpose, our identity, and
      our whole philosophy of life."

      Through dramatic storytelling and compelling visual re-creations, as
      well as interviews with biographers and historians, and lively
      discussion, Freud and Lewis are brought together in a great
      debate. "The series presents a unique dialogue between Freud, the
      atheist, and Lewis, the believer," says Catherine Tatge, director of
      The Question of God. "Through it we come to understand two very
      different ideas of human existence, and where each of us, as
      individuals, falls as believers and unbelievers."

      The important moments and emotional turning points in the lives of
      Freud and Lewis - which gave rise to such starkly different ideas -
      fuel an intelligent and moving contemporary examination of the
      ultimate question of human existence: Does God really exist?

      Airing September 15 & 22, 2004, at 9:00 pm ET on PBS (check local
      listings)

      The Question of God is produced by Tatge/Lasseur Productions in
      association with WGBH and Walden Media.

      For more information or to schedule an interview with Dr. Nicholi
      please contact: Erin Mackey at: Emackey@...

      PROGRAM OVERVIEW

      All over the world, people are asking the same questions: Why is
      there so much pain and suffering in the world? What does it mean to
      be happy?

      Is there such a thing as evil? Does God really exist? This September,
      through the brilliant minds and personal struggles of two of the most
      influential thinkers of the twentieth century, PBS presents an
      emotional and intellectual journey into the meaning of life.

      About Part One
      The Question of God Part I presents the early stories of C.S. Lewis
      and Sigmund Freud, two men with very different ideas of human
      existence.

      In childhood, each embraced the religion of his family. But the early
      death of Lewis's mother, and the horrors he witnessed in the First
      World War tested his faith. In middle age, Lewis found his once-
      passionate atheism troubling, and began searching for faith again.
      Freud, studying medicine in the age of Darwin, found he had no use
      for a creator. As he developed his theory of psychoanalysis, he came
      to see belief in God as just another human fantasy.

      To grapple with the questions raised by the lives and ideas of Freud
      and Lewis, Dr. Armand Nicholi leads a panel of seven thoughtful men
      and women in a wide-ranging discussion of some of the fundamental
      questions.

      What influences us to embrace or reject religious belief? Is the
      scientific method, as Freud wrote, the only path to the truth? Does
      the human longing for God, as Lewis wrote, actually prove that God
      exists? Do miracles actually happen?

      About Part Two
      As Freud and Lewis entered middle age, their divergent beliefs about
      the existence of God were fixed. But tragedy would test each man's
      convictions. For Freud, it was the terror of the Third Reich and the
      death of a beloved daughter. For Lewis, in his fifties, the brief
      happiness of new romance was turned to ashes with the untimely death
      of his wife, igniting the greatest spiritual crisis of his life. Yet
      in the end, each man confronted his own death with his beliefs
      intact.

      Dr. Armand Nicholi and his panel continue their debate, exploring the
      implications of choosing a spiritual or secular worldview for the
      primary questions of life - of love, morality, suffering and death:
      From where do we get our concept of right and wrong - from the
      Creator or from human experience? How do we square the existence of
      an omnipotent, all-loving God with all of the evidence of evil and
      suffering in the world? How do these starkly different worldviews
      help us resolve the riddle of death?
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 15, 2004
        Some interesting criticisms of this program at a generally rewarding site:

        http://getreligion.typepad.com/

        Diamond Proudbrook