FW: Harry Potter Conference

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
      Forwarding for Potterites out there:

      Dr. Bridget Cowlishaw, Assistant Professor at Northeastern State
      University-Talequah, or another member of our academic programming team
      suggested that I contact you. I am one of the lead event organizers of
      The Witching Hour, an interdisciplinary symposium designed to allow
      scholars and adult enthusiasts of the Harry Potter series to gather and
      share research. The conference, which will take place in Salem,
      Massachusetts in October of 2005, will engage attendees in a broad
      exploration and understanding of the Harry Potter texts and phenomenon,
      as well as foster dialogue between academics and fans. We very much hope
      you will consider submitting a programming proposal.

      Please visit www.witchinghour.org for more information on our
      programming and the conference itself, as well as an overview of our
      review process for submissions and biographies of our review board
      members. Our call for papers is currently available on our site, and
      will be formally distributed on October 31, 2004, when we will begin
      accepting submissions. Attached is a flyer that we hope you will make
      available to interested parties in the meantime.

      The theme of the symposium _ as befits the season, locale and current
      tone of the series _ is choice, moral ambiguity and the darkness within
      everyone. While we shall warmly receive submissions dealing with our
      theme, we wish to stress that we welcome proposals on any and all topics
      _ whether academic, creative or fan _ relating to Harry Potter,
      including examinations of writing, art and young adult fantasy
      literature.

      Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about our
      programming or the conference itself. We do hope you will consider
      participating in our programming.

      Very truly yours,

      Hallie Tibbetts

      Lead Event Planner, The Witching Hour

      October 6-10

      Salem, MA

      www.witchinghour.org

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2004
        In a message dated 9/10/2004 9:18:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
        writes:

        > The conference, which will take place in Salem,
        > Massachusetts . . .

        So the books really do turn kids into Satanists.

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2004
          lol I was just thinking... the conference may or may not have set out to be
          fairly level headed and interesting, but the setting will no doubt bring
          out the circus brigade. It did sound halfway interesting though.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2004
            For those of you who haven't read Goblet of Fire yet, the Salem Witches'
            Institute is the American equivalent of Hogwart's according to JK
            Rowling <g>. What can I say but the lady has a weird sense of British
            Humour.

            Where did you think I got the School Name for my costume from?

            I just wish I had the time to go! They are not only serious, but have a
            Good Sense of Humor and detailed interest in the books to make it a very
            good time for all intelligent HP fans.

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa