Re: [mythsoc] Voynich Ms

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
      It's possible that Tolkien didn't even know about the Voynich manuscript.
      It was in private hands for most of his life, and I get the impression it
      didn't become famous until about 30 years ago. I first heard of it some 25
      years ago, in the wake of coming across a copy of the Codex Seraphinus,
      which is a sort of modern parody of the Voynich manuscript.

      In any case, the Voynich is a cryptological mystery, and thus rather
      removed from Tolkien's professional interests which were philological. I
      do not recall offhand seeing any comments by Tolkien on the decipherment of
      Linear B, the greatest cryptological language solution of his time.

      David Bratman