Voynich Ms

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
      I just saw an article in Scientific American about something called the
      Voynich Manuscript. It was rediscovered in 1912, but supposedly dated from
      the late 1400s or early 1500s... it is written in some unknown script and
      has never been decoded. In fact, some, including this author (Gordon Rugg)
      think it may just have been a hoax of gibberish.

      I can't help but think, wouldn't Prof. Tolkien have heard of this thing and
      had an opinion or a curiosity about it?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
        Here's a website for the Voynich manuscript:

        http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/voynich.html

        Steve Gaddis

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 29, 2004
          It's possible that Tolkien didn't even know about the Voynich manuscript.
          It was in private hands for most of his life, and I get the impression it
          didn't become famous until about 30 years ago. I first heard of it some 25
          years ago, in the wake of coming across a copy of the Codex Seraphinus,
          which is a sort of modern parody of the Voynich manuscript.

          In any case, the Voynich is a cryptological mystery, and thus rather
          removed from Tolkien's professional interests which were philological. I
          do not recall offhand seeing any comments by Tolkien on the decipherment of
          Linear B, the greatest cryptological language solution of his time.

          David Bratman