Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1665

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 7:48 PM
      I was wondering for a time why I found the idea that God would trip
      Gollum into Mt. Doom so repugnant. Then I realized that this would
      deny Gollum his free will--and I think we have a lot of evidence that
      he has that. When Gollum falls, if it's not entirely accident (and I
      don't think it is) it's because Gollum is partly wanting to escape the
      ring and life and also keep it, in other words he kind of has a death
      wish. In a way, it's the only way that he can keep the ring and defeat
      Sauron and not have to go on without his Precious. But I'm sure his
      divided consciousness is divided about that as well. Possibly this is
      also a way to save Frodo in that small part of Smeagol which is
      actually kindly disposed towards Frodo and faithful to his promise.

      On Aug 19, 2004, at 7:30 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > I'm not sure that was the intent of the statement. What if it was
      > interpreted as God watching over it all, letting everyone strive and
      > make
      > their choices, and then adding just a smidgen of divine intervention at
      > the very end so that all the striving wasn't utterly in vain? In other
      > words, God didn't place any tripwires in front of our heroes, so that
      > everything they achieved really was a great achievement (free will),
      > but
      > God might have "tripped" Gollum and the ring over the edge into the
      > fires
      > of Mt. Doom, having completed the divine evaluation of Middle Earth and
      > deciding finally that it was time for God to act. "This is as good as
      > mortal could do." Given that "spin", what do you think?
      >
      > ~ JTHeyman

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.