Re: [mythsoc] God Testing Middle Earth? A request for sources.

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2004
      At 08:28 PM 8/18/2004 -0400, JTHeyman wrote:

      >What if it was
      >interpreted as God watching over it all, letting everyone strive and make
      >their choices, and then adding just a smidgen of divine intervention at
      >the very end so that all the striving wasn't utterly in vain?

      Fine, but I wouldn't paraphrase the lesson of that as "This is as good as a
      mortal can do, otherwise you don't need God," which is a quote of the
      lesson expressed in your previous post. The lesson of this might be
      expressed as, "If you do as much as a mortal can do, God will help you do
      the rest." That's quite different.

      - David Bratman