Re: [mythsoc] God Testing Middle Earth? A request for sources.

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2004
      It's true, in a way, but it's expressed bass-ackwards. Rather than God
      placing a limitation on what mortals could do, without God's help they
      couldn't have gotten as far as they did. Anyone who thinks carting the
      Ring to Mordor was a doddle made difficult only by tripwires installed by
      God has misunderstood LOTR so badly that I doubt anyone has even bothered
      to refute it.

      David Bratman

    • JTHeyman@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2004
        David Bratman <dbratman@...> writes:
        > It's true, in a way, but it's expressed bass-ackwards. Rather
        > than God placing a limitation on what mortals could do, without
        > God's help they couldn't have gotten as far as they did. Anyone
        > who thinks carting the Ring to Mordor was a doddle made
        > difficult only by tripwires installed by God has misunderstood
        > LOTR so badly that I doubt anyone has even bothered to refute it.
        >
        > JTHeyman wrote:
        > > He suggested that perhaps the events in The Lord of the
        > > Rings were God *testing* Middle Earth in general, and
        > > Frodo specifically. The end result, Frodo failing at the
        > > end but the ring still being destroyed, was the statement
        > > that, "This is as good as a mortal can do, otherwise you
        > > don't need God."

        I'm not sure that was the intent of the statement. What if it was
        interpreted as God watching over it all, letting everyone strive and make
        their choices, and then adding just a smidgen of divine intervention at
        the very end so that all the striving wasn't utterly in vain? In other
        words, God didn't place any tripwires in front of our heroes, so that
        everything they achieved really was a great achievement (free will), but
        God might have "tripped" Gollum and the ring over the edge into the fires
        of Mt. Doom, having completed the divine evaluation of Middle Earth and
        deciding finally that it was time for God to act. "This is as good as a
        mortal could do." Given that "spin", what do you think?

        ~ JTHeyman
        "Wade Wells Lives!"

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2004
          At 08:28 PM 8/18/2004 -0400, JTHeyman wrote:

          >What if it was
          >interpreted as God watching over it all, letting everyone strive and make
          >their choices, and then adding just a smidgen of divine intervention at
          >the very end so that all the striving wasn't utterly in vain?

          Fine, but I wouldn't paraphrase the lesson of that as "This is as good as a
          mortal can do, otherwise you don't need God," which is a quote of the
          lesson expressed in your previous post. The lesson of this might be
          expressed as, "If you do as much as a mortal can do, God will help you do
          the rest." That's quite different.

          - David Bratman