The Parthenon

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2004
      I saw the Greek Parthenon on TV tonight, during the Olympics, and I gotta
      say - I think ours here in Nashville is definitely in better shape!

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2004
        > I saw the Greek Parthenon on TV tonight, during the Olympics, and I gotta
        > say - I think ours here in Nashville is definitely in better shape!
        >
        > Diamond Proudbrook
        >
        > The one advantage Athens has-location, location, location!
        > The highlight of last years' MythCon was the Parthenon in Nashville,
        especially the newly finished statue of the Goddess Athena. I think very
        differently about the city and the people of Nashville after touring the
        reconstruction. What a gift!
        For those who would like to take a look- http://www.nashville.gov/parthenon

        Steve Gaddis

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2004
          Nashville has an advantage in that it's inland. You're not fighting the
          sea, which does a number on buildings; though you also have winter, and
          Greece doesn't. ---djb

          I saw the Greek Parthenon on TV tonight, during the Olympics, and I gotta
          say - I think ours here in Nashville is definitely in better shape!

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2004
            At 04:20 PM 8/16/2004 -0400, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
            >Nashville has an advantage in that it's inland. You're not fighting the
            >sea, which does a number on buildings; though you also have winter, and
            >Greece doesn't.

            There's another more conspicuous and relevant difference. When the most
            recent invading army passed through Nashville some 140 years ago, there was
            not yet a Parthenon there for it to pick at. By that time Athens' already
            looked much as it does today. Invading destructive armies and ruthlessly
            ravenous art collectors of previous centuries were the main reason.

            - David Bratman