Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Joshua Kronengold mneme@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:04:39 -0500
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

      dianejoy@... writes:
      >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
      >to hit.

      >Me.

      >More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
      >who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
      >in recently.

      >But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
      >audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
      >Goldfish" or something.

      I need to re-read *Stardust* again. However, in terms of audience, I agree
      that this is what NG's doing: he's found his target audience, which are
      essentially "Neil Gaiman fans." I don't consider *Stardust* a child's
      story, and that was my point.

      I'm very fond of Gaiman's Sandman, and I also think that he's most powerful
      when he's writing short stories. His novels are fine, but they don't have
      that extra "punch," though they do make you think. ---djb

      --
      Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_
      ,)

      /\\ your wand and the sky your hat and a puddle |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\

      /-\\\ your magic..." -- Granny Weatherwax '---''(_/--' (_/-'

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .