Dunkle and When Toys Come Alive

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2004
      Thanks, Wendell! But just because a finalist says that (s)he's
      attending because of the nomination alone doesn't mean that that isn't
      the case. I can think of several occasions when that occurred,
      possibly including this year. And, by the way, I know that sometimes
      the Award winners aren't told: when they're going to be attending
      anyhow. Or at least this has been the case in some years.

      I still think that the Kuznets book was absolutely terrific, and I wish
      that Glen had printed my long review (Ellie printed a short review in
      'print). Maybe I should put it on my web-site. I hadn't known that it
      received those other awards, though I'm sure it deserved them! Thanks
      for pointing this out.

      On Aug 5, 2004, at 8:15 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 22
      > Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 05:00:30 EDT
      > From: WendellWag@...
      > Subject: Re: Winners?
      >
      > In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > WendellWag@... writes:
      >
      > Claire Dunkle was the only one of the winners to come to pick up her
      > award,
      > and she came all the way from Germany. (She's an American presently
      > living in
      > Germany.) I know by now that, when someone surprising comes to
      > Mythcon with
      > the story that they came just because they had been nominated for an
      > award,
      > that means that they have won the award. (Winners are told beforehand
      > but aren't
      > supposed to tell anyone else that they have won.) John Garth begged
      > off
      > coming with the flimsy excuse that he was getting married that weekend.
      >
      > Incidentally, I just noticed that the Mythopoeic Awards have reached
      > another
      > milestone of general recognition among literary awards. In a letter
      > in the
      > latest issue of _The New York Review of Books_, Lois R. Kuznets
      > corrected a
      > reviewer who is a previous issue had paraphrased briefly from her book
      > _When Toys
      > Come Alive_ but misspelled her name and didn't give a citation.
      > Kuznets noted
      > that her book "won three prizes: Children's Literature Association
      > Award for
      > Best Scholarly Book of 1994; International Research Society Award for
      > Scholarly Book; Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award for Myth and
      > Fantasy Studies."
      > I've been noting for years other milestones for the Mythopoeic Awards,
      > such as
      > the first time that the award was mentioned in the blurb on a book's
      > jacket
      > (this happened quite a while ago) and the time that the Mythopoeic
      > Awards were
      > mentioned in a two-page layout in the bulletin of the Science Fiction
      > Book Club
      > as more or less equal with the Hugos and Nebulas (this happened a year
      > or two
      > ago).
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

      David Lenander, Library Manager
      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services
      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612) 626-3375 fax: (612) 626-2454 home: (651) 292-8887;
      (651) 697-1807
      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page:
      http://umn.edu/~d-lena/OnceUponATime.html