Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 5 8:12 AM
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Stolzi Stolzi@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:58:10 -0500
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

      >I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
      >scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
      >children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
      >but now it wasn't.

      I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
      to hit. If it's a "Fairy Tale for Grownups" it should be so labeled,
      either in a blurb or part of the title. The violence is often quite
      reminiscent of normal fairy tales (before they got bowdlerized).

      >At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in
      >STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though
      >it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with
      >the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

      Good point. ---djb

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 5 4:04 PM
        dianejoy@... writes:
        >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
        >to hit.

        Me.

        More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
        who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
        in recently.

        But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
        audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
        Goldfish" or something.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 6 7:28 AM