Re: [mythsoc] Winners?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
      In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
      > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
      > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley
      > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

      Claire Dunkle was the only one of the winners to come to pick up her award,
      and she came all the way from Germany. (She's an American presently living in
      Germany.) I know by now that, when someone surprising comes to Mythcon with
      the story that they came just because they had been nominated for an award,
      that means that they have won the award. (Winners are told beforehand but aren't
      supposed to tell anyone else that they have won.) John Garth begged off
      coming with the flimsy excuse that he was getting married that weekend.

      Incidentally, I just noticed that the Mythopoeic Awards have reached another
      milestone of general recognition among literary awards. In a letter in the
      latest issue of _The New York Review of Books_, Lois R. Kuznets corrected a
      reviewer who is a previous issue had paraphrased briefly from her book _When Toys
      Come Alive_ but misspelled her name and didn't give a citation. Kuznets noted
      that her book "won three prizes: Children's Literature Association Award for
      Best Scholarly Book of 1994; International Research Society Award for
      Scholarly Book; Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award for Myth and Fantasy Studies."
      I've been noting for years other milestones for the Mythopoeic Awards, such as
      the first time that the award was mentioned in the blurb on a book's jacket
      (this happened quite a while ago) and the time that the Mythopoeic Awards were
      mentioned in a two-page layout in the bulletin of the Science Fiction Book Club
      as more or less equal with the Hugos and Nebulas (this happened a year or two
      ago).

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
        I, perhaps, miscommunicated. I recognized the setting and actually voted
        for *Paladin* as my #1 choice; I was speculating on the process of voting
        and the thought process (from other committee members) that placed
        *Sunshine* as the winning book. I rather figured it would win, and I'm
        fine with that.

        Rosemary Kirstein has another coming out in September, *The Language of
        Power*. (I KNOW it is SF, but CSL wrote SF, so I don't see why that
        disqualifies any MFA candidate.) Actually, Le Guin is also SF, to some
        degree. RK's books also have beautiful Cliff Neilson covers. They're what
        made me look at the books. Rich and lovely. ---djb

        From: <dianejoy@...>

        > *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us.

        Since PALADIN OF SOULS is not only set in the same universe as the
        MFA-winning THE CURSE OF CHALION but also features one of Curse's characters
        as its protagonist, that's not a surprise.

        Berni

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .