Re: [mythsoc] Winners?

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
      From: <dianejoy@...>

      > *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us.

      Since PALADIN OF SOULS is not only set in the same universe as the
      MFA-winning THE CURSE OF CHALION but also features one of Curse's characters
      as its protagonist, that's not a surprise.

      Berni
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
        In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
        > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
        > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley
        > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

        Claire Dunkle was the only one of the winners to come to pick up her award,
        and she came all the way from Germany. (She's an American presently living in
        Germany.) I know by now that, when someone surprising comes to Mythcon with
        the story that they came just because they had been nominated for an award,
        that means that they have won the award. (Winners are told beforehand but aren't
        supposed to tell anyone else that they have won.) John Garth begged off
        coming with the flimsy excuse that he was getting married that weekend.

        Incidentally, I just noticed that the Mythopoeic Awards have reached another
        milestone of general recognition among literary awards. In a letter in the
        latest issue of _The New York Review of Books_, Lois R. Kuznets corrected a
        reviewer who is a previous issue had paraphrased briefly from her book _When Toys
        Come Alive_ but misspelled her name and didn't give a citation. Kuznets noted
        that her book "won three prizes: Children's Literature Association Award for
        Best Scholarly Book of 1994; International Research Society Award for
        Scholarly Book; Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award for Myth and Fantasy Studies."
        I've been noting for years other milestones for the Mythopoeic Awards, such as
        the first time that the award was mentioned in the blurb on a book's jacket
        (this happened quite a while ago) and the time that the Mythopoeic Awards were
        mentioned in a two-page layout in the bulletin of the Science Fiction Book Club
        as more or less equal with the Hugos and Nebulas (this happened a year or two
        ago).

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
          I, perhaps, miscommunicated. I recognized the setting and actually voted
          for *Paladin* as my #1 choice; I was speculating on the process of voting
          and the thought process (from other committee members) that placed
          *Sunshine* as the winning book. I rather figured it would win, and I'm
          fine with that.

          Rosemary Kirstein has another coming out in September, *The Language of
          Power*. (I KNOW it is SF, but CSL wrote SF, so I don't see why that
          disqualifies any MFA candidate.) Actually, Le Guin is also SF, to some
          degree. RK's books also have beautiful Cliff Neilson covers. They're what
          made me look at the books. Rich and lovely. ---djb

          > *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us.

          Since PALADIN OF SOULS is not only set in the same universe as the
          MFA-winning THE CURSE OF CHALION but also features one of Curse's characters
          as its protagonist, that's not a surprise.

          Berni

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .