Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
      I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
      scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
      children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
      but now it wasn't.

      Was Stardust wriiten as anything but an adult novel? I though the sex scene
      made sense in terms of the plot as it had developed up to that point.

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
        Well, I think it's billed as a "fairy tale for adults," but when has that stopped sharing a good book with one's children? How many of you here handed LORD OF THE RINGS to the little darlings as soon as you thought they could absorb it? Or how many had children who found it for themselves? :)

        Diamond Proudbrook
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
          Er, I must make a correction; I have both *High* and *False* in regular
          MMPB editions, not the new ones you referred to, though I'd sure like to
          take a look at the illustrations.

          I love illustrations best when they act as "jumping off points" for the
          imagination of the reader; I love Ted Nasmith's work for another reason:
          because it captures as close as humanly possible, the images *I already had
          in mind* as I read JRRT's work. ---djb

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
              dianejoy@... writes:
              >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
              >to hit.

              Me.

              More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
              who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
              in recently.

              But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
              audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
              Goldfish" or something.

              --
              Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
              --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004