Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
      I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids but now it wasn't.

      At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

      Diamond Proudbrook.

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
        I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
        scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
        children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
        but now it wasn't.

        Was Stardust wriiten as anything but an adult novel? I though the sex scene
        made sense in terms of the plot as it had developed up to that point.

      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
          Well, I think it's billed as a "fairy tale for adults," but when has that stopped sharing a good book with one's children? How many of you here handed LORD OF THE RINGS to the little darlings as soon as you thought they could absorb it? Or how many had children who found it for themselves? :)

          Diamond Proudbrook
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
            Er, I must make a correction; I have both *High* and *False* in regular
            MMPB editions, not the new ones you referred to, though I'd sure like to
            take a look at the illustrations.

            I love illustrations best when they act as "jumping off points" for the
            imagination of the reader; I love Ted Nasmith's work for another reason:
            because it captures as close as humanly possible, the images *I already had
            in mind* as I read JRRT's work. ---djb

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
              >I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
              >scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
              >children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
              >but now it wasn't.

              I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
              to hit. If it's a "Fairy Tale for Grownups" it should be so labeled,
              either in a blurb or part of the title. The violence is often quite
              reminiscent of normal fairy tales (before they got bowdlerized).

              >At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in
              >STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though
              >it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with
              >the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

              Good point. ---djb

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Joshua Kronengold
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                dianejoy@... writes:
                >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                >to hit.

                Me.

                More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
                who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
                in recently.

                But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
                audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
                Goldfish" or something.

                --
                Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004