Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
      >>>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
      >released
      >>>in limited editions a few years.
      >
      >>>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
      >
      >Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

      Stoddard's very proud of the job the publisher did on them. He didn't make anything off these editions,
      but they flew him to Nashville (I believe) and he had a great time discussing the design with the SoulWave
      folks.
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
        I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids but now it wasn't.

        At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

        Diamond Proudbrook.

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
          I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
          scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
          children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
          but now it wasn't.

          Was Stardust wriiten as anything but an adult novel? I though the sex scene
          made sense in terms of the plot as it had developed up to that point.

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
            Well, I think it's billed as a "fairy tale for adults," but when has that stopped sharing a good book with one's children? How many of you here handed LORD OF THE RINGS to the little darlings as soon as you thought they could absorb it? Or how many had children who found it for themselves? :)

            Diamond Proudbrook
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
              Er, I must make a correction; I have both *High* and *False* in regular
              MMPB editions, not the new ones you referred to, though I'd sure like to
              take a look at the illustrations.

              I love illustrations best when they act as "jumping off points" for the
              imagination of the reader; I love Ted Nasmith's work for another reason:
              because it captures as close as humanly possible, the images *I already had
              in mind* as I read JRRT's work. ---djb

              >>>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
              >released
              >>>in limited editions a few years.
              >
              >>>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
              >
              >Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

              Stoddard's very proud of the job the publisher did on them. He didn't make
              anything off these editions,
              but they flew him to Nashville (I believe) and he had a great time
              discussing the design with the SoulWave
              folks.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                >I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
                >scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
                >children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
                >but now it wasn't.

                I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                to hit. If it's a "Fairy Tale for Grownups" it should be so labeled,
                either in a blurb or part of the title. The violence is often quite
                reminiscent of normal fairy tales (before they got bowdlerized).

                >At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in
                >STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though
                >it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with
                >the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

                Good point. ---djb

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • Joshua Kronengold
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                  dianejoy@... writes:
                  >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                  >to hit.

                  Me.

                  More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
                  who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
                  in recently.

                  But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
                  audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
                  Goldfish" or something.

                  --
                  Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                  --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004