Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Jack jack@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:44:55 -0400
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

      >I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
      >where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
      >least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
      >the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
      >best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

      >>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
      released
      >>in limited editions a few years.

      >>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html

      Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
        >>>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
        >released
        >>>in limited editions a few years.
        >
        >>>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
        >
        >Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

        Stoddard's very proud of the job the publisher did on them. He didn't make anything off these editions,
        but they flew him to Nashville (I believe) and he had a great time discussing the design with the SoulWave
        folks.
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
          I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids but now it wasn't.

          At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

          Diamond Proudbrook.

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
            I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
            scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
            children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
            but now it wasn't.

            Was Stardust wriiten as anything but an adult novel? I though the sex scene
            made sense in terms of the plot as it had developed up to that point.

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
              Well, I think it's billed as a "fairy tale for adults," but when has that stopped sharing a good book with one's children? How many of you here handed LORD OF THE RINGS to the little darlings as soon as you thought they could absorb it? Or how many had children who found it for themselves? :)

              Diamond Proudbrook
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                Er, I must make a correction; I have both *High* and *False* in regular
                MMPB editions, not the new ones you referred to, though I'd sure like to
                take a look at the illustrations.

                I love illustrations best when they act as "jumping off points" for the
                imagination of the reader; I love Ted Nasmith's work for another reason:
                because it captures as close as humanly possible, the images *I already had
                in mind* as I read JRRT's work. ---djb

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                  >I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
                  >scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
                  >children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
                  >but now it wasn't.

                  I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                  to hit. If it's a "Fairy Tale for Grownups" it should be so labeled,
                  either in a blurb or part of the title. The violence is often quite
                  reminiscent of normal fairy tales (before they got bowdlerized).

                  >At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in
                  >STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though
                  >it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with
                  >the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

                  Good point. ---djb

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Joshua Kronengold
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                    dianejoy@... writes:
                    >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                    >to hit.

                    Me.

                    More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
                    who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
                    in recently.

                    But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
                    audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
                    Goldfish" or something.

                    --
                    Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                    --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004