Re: [mythsoc] Winners?

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: Matthew Winslow mwinslow-sf@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:21:07 -0500
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Winners?

      WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
      > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
      > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
      > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
      > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

      >>Thanks, Wendell. The Garth and the Lawrence/Jewett come as no suprise,
      but >>I must admit I'm a bit amazed at the McKinley. Not that it wasn't
      well >>written,but I didn't feel it was 'in the spirit of the Inklings' all
      that >>much. (And I haven't read the Dunkle, so I haven't any opinion about
      it.)

      I'm a bit surprised, too, though I'm glad McKillip didn't win with the book
      she wrote this year; I'd much rather see *Alphabet of Thorns* on next
      year's list (though competition's gonna be stiff). *Sunshine* didn't feel
      very "Inklings-like" to me, but then most of them didn't---except for
      *Paladin of Souls.* Wonder how close that came to picking up the Lion? I
      think lots of people went for "new author." Plus it was a good read.
      *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us; she is,
      of course, fabulous. ---djb
      "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
      really happy."
      --Thomas Lounsbury
      Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
        From: <dianejoy@...>

        > *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us.

        Since PALADIN OF SOULS is not only set in the same universe as the
        MFA-winning THE CURSE OF CHALION but also features one of Curse's characters
        as its protagonist, that's not a surprise.

        Berni
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
          In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
          > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
          > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley
          > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

          Claire Dunkle was the only one of the winners to come to pick up her award,
          and she came all the way from Germany. (She's an American presently living in
          Germany.) I know by now that, when someone surprising comes to Mythcon with
          the story that they came just because they had been nominated for an award,
          that means that they have won the award. (Winners are told beforehand but aren't
          supposed to tell anyone else that they have won.) John Garth begged off
          coming with the flimsy excuse that he was getting married that weekend.

          Incidentally, I just noticed that the Mythopoeic Awards have reached another
          milestone of general recognition among literary awards. In a letter in the
          latest issue of _The New York Review of Books_, Lois R. Kuznets corrected a
          reviewer who is a previous issue had paraphrased briefly from her book _When Toys
          Come Alive_ but misspelled her name and didn't give a citation. Kuznets noted
          that her book "won three prizes: Children's Literature Association Award for
          Best Scholarly Book of 1994; International Research Society Award for
          Scholarly Book; Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award for Myth and Fantasy Studies."
          I've been noting for years other milestones for the Mythopoeic Awards, such as
          the first time that the award was mentioned in the blurb on a book's jacket
          (this happened quite a while ago) and the time that the Mythopoeic Awards were
          mentioned in a two-page layout in the bulletin of the Science Fiction Book Club
          as more or less equal with the Hugos and Nebulas (this happened a year or two
          ago).

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
            I, perhaps, miscommunicated. I recognized the setting and actually voted
            for *Paladin* as my #1 choice; I was speculating on the process of voting
            and the thought process (from other committee members) that placed
            *Sunshine* as the winning book. I rather figured it would win, and I'm
            fine with that.

            Rosemary Kirstein has another coming out in September, *The Language of
            Power*. (I KNOW it is SF, but CSL wrote SF, so I don't see why that
            disqualifies any MFA candidate.) Actually, Le Guin is also SF, to some
            degree. RK's books also have beautiful Cliff Neilson covers. They're what
            made me look at the books. Rich and lovely. ---djb