Re: [mythsoc] MythCon in Gaiman's blog

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
      From: "Matthew Winslow" <mwinslow-sf@...>

      > From the blog of Neil Gaiman, GoH of the recently ended MythCon:
      >
      > I read some excellent papers (my favourite was David Bratman's essay on
      the
      > Sandman story "A Game of You", mostly because he said a number of things I
      > thought about that problematic story), met some lovely people, and was, at
      the
      > banquet, confronted by Food Sculptures: a Mythcon tradition which will
      haunt
      > me till I die, or possibly beyond...

      Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee. See what you missed? The committee did forget to
      allow time at the banquet for the procession of the food sculptures, the
      number of which grows every year. As a result, I doubt that anyone but
      Gaiman saw them all.

      Our table produced "American Globs" (two round fancy pats of butter with a
      little American flag that Bernadette Bosky created out of the inside of a
      sugar packet, using lipstick for the red stripes and blue ink for the star
      part -- this one got a big groan from Gaiman) and "Fiddler's Green in the
      Creaming" (many pieces of the rosemary garnish stuck in a slab of
      eggplant -- almost every year, they feed the vegetarians eggplant and I
      don't like eggplant -- with some mushroom and then cream poured around it)
      for Neil Gaiman. Bernadette Bosky produced a similar creation for the
      scholar guest of honor, Chuck Huttar (there were two pieces of eggplant),
      only hers was an island on Perelandra and she included a little figure of
      Ransom made of cauliflower and instead of cream, she used water to make it
      an island.

      Berni
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
        Berni Phillips [bernip@...] wrote:
        > Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee. See what you missed?

        Oh, sure, rub it in. <g> Well, hopefully in 2006.

        "I sometimes think that writing is like driving sheep down a road. If there
        is any gate open to the left or to the right the readers will most
        certainly go down it."
        --C.S. Lewis
        Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
          Matt -

          If you miss 2006, there is no hope...

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa
          PS For those of you who don't know, Seattle is where Mythcon 2006 (36 or
          37?) will be held and Matt lives in Seattle. In fact, he will probably
          be on the committed.

          Matthew Winslow wrote:

          >Berni Phillips [bernip@...] wrote:
          >

          >>Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee. See what you missed?
          >>

          >Oh, sure, rub it in. <g> Well, hopefully in 2006.

        • chris
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
            Lisa:
            > PS For those of you who don't know, Seattle is where Mythcon 2006 (36 or
            > 37?) will be held and Matt lives in Seattle. In fact, he will probably
            > be on the committed.

            Matt? Committed? ... But, no, one chooses rather to bite her tongue in an
            effort to keep it out of her cheek.

            chris.
            --
            * wrdnrd.com