Mythcon XXXV

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      Since I just wrote this up for the SpareOom list, I'll crosspost it here:

      Next year's Mythcon will be held, jointly with the British Tolkien Society's meeting, at Aston University in Birmingham, England, the city in and near which Tolkien spent his young formative years. The year after that, probably in Seattle.

      This year's made use of the lovely University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor, though we stayed at a motel on the outskirts and rode big yellow school buses to the Saturday and Sunday sessions - Hogwarts buses perhaps, as each one carried a broom.

      Neil Gaiman (see www.neilgaiman.com ) was our Writer Guest of Honor, a terrifically charming and knowledgeable person. His writing is dark, but his speech to the Conference drew on the very pleasant, not to say enraptured, memories he has of reading Lewis' Narnia tales, Tolkien's Trilogy, and the writings of GK Chesterton in his youth.

      He gave a reading of a new story of his, "The Problem of Susan," which deals with Susan's being left behind.

      Dr. Charles Huttar of Hope College, the Scholar Guest of Honor, gave a wonnnnnderful speech linking together Lewis and other Inklings with Milton's COMUS (now I feel I must read it). He was given a joke award as "Most Entertaining Scholar," but would perhaps have to dispute that title, in my opinion, with Dr. Don Williams (who gave a talk on Narnia, btw).

      Delicious Michigan wines were served in the evenings with beaucoup nibbles, such as Michigan fruit (mmm) and cheeses, at the Hospitality Suite - something we couldn't do last year at our puritanical Scarritt-Bennett Center site.

      There was an entertaining debate panel with Bernadette Bosky, who espouses post-modernist criticism, David Bratman a more-or-less neutral, and Don Williams, the author of the play REVENGE OF THE DWEMS which was given at last year's Con and in which (as someone said) he beat post-modernism around the head and shoulders with a pizza. Janet Croft moderated. We also had a panel on the detective fiction of Dorothy L. Sayers, who was not an Inkling nor (in the main) a fantasist, but whose writing is enjoyed by many of us.

      I was in the Masquerade as a Rhinemaiden, and Grace Monk was a beautiful "Death" in the Not-Ready-for-Mythcon Players, who did a tribute to Neil's long comic book epic THE SANDMAN. Alas, dear Ruby Dunlap, my co-chair last year, could not be with us.

      Mary S

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

        > There was an entertaining debate panel with Bernadette Bosky, who espouses
        post-modernist criticism, David Bratman a more-or-less neutral, and Don
        Williams, the author of the play REVENGE OF THE DWEMS which was given at
        last year's Con and in which (as someone said) he beat post-modernism around
        the head and shoulders with a pizza.

        Clarification: Bernadette Bosky does not as a rule espouse post-modernist
        criticism. She was asked to be its spokesperson for this panel since she is
        more familiar with the different types of literary criticism than many other
        attendees. Casually speaking of the panel before it took place, she was not
        thrilled to have to speak in post-modernism's defense.

        Berni
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
          Berni, thanks for the clarification, which is very interesting!

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
            >Clarification: Bernadette Bosky does not as a rule espouse post-modernist
            >criticism. She was asked to be its spokesperson for this panel since she
            is
            >more familiar with the different types of literary criticism than many
            other
            >attendees. Casually speaking of the panel before it took place, she was
            not
            >thrilled to have to speak in post-modernism's defense.

            Despite how "unthrilled" she might have been, she did a great job;
            answered one of my questions nicely. --djb

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .