Re: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
      In a message dated 8/3/2004 12:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
      mwinslow-sf@... writes:
      While not Gaiman's best work, I've always enjoyed reading it. I don't find it
      flat or uninspiring at all. It's what it purports to be: a fairy tale. To
      expect more I think diminishes the value of the work.
      --

      I too found this book to be enjoyable. I had no expectations about what it
      should be when I started it, mostly because I didn't read it for any reason than

      Grace Walker Monk

    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
        Matthew Winslow [mwinslow-sf@...] wrote:
        > While not Gaiman's best work, I've always enjoyed reading it. I don't find it
        > flat or uninspiring at all. It's what it purports to be: a fairy tale. To
        > expect more I think diminishes the value of the work.

        Um, my apologies if this came across a bit agressive. I've been battling a
        troll on another list I'm on and I guess I was still a bit punchy when I wrote
        the above.

        "There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
        returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment in fact."
        --Mark Twain
        Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
          From: "Fisher, Matt" <matt.fisher@...>

          > Joan,
          >
          > > I read Stardust while I was in San Diego. I understand that this title
          > > won a Mythopoeic Fantasy award. What I don't understand is
          > > how it won a
          > > Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. I found the novel flat, uninspiring, and not
          > > particularly well written.
          > >
          > > Were the other nominees that year really that bad?
          >
          > Looking over the list of finalists from that year (I was on the
          committee), my recollection is that I found several of the titles just as
          weak (in different ways)...particularly the Klein and Stoddard.

          Sometimes the award winner is a compromise book. I wasn't on the committe
          that year, but I recall discussing the stuff at the time and while _The High
          House_ may have been mythopoeic, some people didn't find it a very good
          book.

          The former awards administrator told me that someone once actually nominated
          a book for the award with the stirring recommendation of, "It's not very
          good but it's very mythopoeic." This was quite some time before 1999 so it
          was not any of the nominees that year.

          I liked _Stardust_ quite a lot the first time I read it. I re-read it
          recently (since I was re-reading Gaiman's stuff for Mythcon) and had the
          reaction you did this time, Joan. I did not enjoy it anywhere near as much.

          Berni
        • Deidre
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
            At 01:13 PM 8/3/04 -0500, Joan wrote:
            >Matthew Winslow wrote:
            >
            > > Joan, did you read the print-only version or the 'graphic novel'? The Vess
            > > illustrations really bring the story to life.
            >
            >This was the "print-only" version.

            Neil and Charles collaborated on this graphic novel, if that's one wishes
            to call it. The pictures and the story just go together perfectly IMHO. I
            can't imagine the story without those pictures. Please try it again in the
            "illustrated" version. I would like to hope that you would think better of it.

            Btw, Vess is one of my favorite artists and Gaiman is one of my favorite
            writers, so I have always thought that their work together is magical.
            Mythopoeic, *shrugs* I don't know, but their work, together and separately,
            does resonate with me.

            Deidre
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
              I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
              where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
              least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
              the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
              best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                >I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
                >where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
                >least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
                >the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
                >best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

                The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were released
                in limited editions a few years.

                http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                  >I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
                  >where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
                  >least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
                  >the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
                  >best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

                  >>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
                  released
                  >>in limited editions a few years.

                  >>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html

                  Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Jack
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                    >>>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
                    >released
                    >>>in limited editions a few years.
                    >
                    >>>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
                    >
                    >Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

                    Stoddard's very proud of the job the publisher did on them. He didn't make anything off these editions,
                    but they flew him to Nashville (I believe) and he had a great time discussing the design with the SoulWave
                    folks.
                  • Stolzi
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                      I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids but now it wasn't.

                      At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

                      Diamond Proudbrook.

                    • Jack
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                        I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
                        scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
                        children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
                        but now it wasn't.

                        Was Stardust wriiten as anything but an adult novel? I though the sex scene
                        made sense in terms of the plot as it had developed up to that point.

                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                          Well, I think it's billed as a "fairy tale for adults," but when has that stopped sharing a good book with one's children? How many of you here handed LORD OF THE RINGS to the little darlings as soon as you thought they could absorb it? Or how many had children who found it for themselves? :)

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                            Er, I must make a correction; I have both *High* and *False* in regular
                            MMPB editions, not the new ones you referred to, though I'd sure like to
                            take a look at the illustrations.

                            I love illustrations best when they act as "jumping off points" for the
                            imagination of the reader; I love Ted Nasmith's work for another reason:
                            because it captures as close as humanly possible, the images *I already had
                            in mind* as I read JRRT's work. ---djb

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                              >I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
                              >scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
                              >children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
                              >but now it wasn't.

                              I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                              to hit. If it's a "Fairy Tale for Grownups" it should be so labeled,
                              either in a blurb or part of the title. The violence is often quite
                              reminiscent of normal fairy tales (before they got bowdlerized).

                              >At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in
                              >STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though
                              >it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with
                              >the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

                              Good point. ---djb

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              http://mail2web.com/ .
                            • Joshua Kronengold
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                dianejoy@... writes:
                                >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                                >to hit.

                                Me.

                                More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
                                who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
                                in recently.

                                But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
                                audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
                                Goldfish" or something.

                                --
                                Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                                --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004